Copyrighting Your Material (now Or Later)

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Great video. What about the time stamp on your mixed project from your DAW? I always looked at that as being a legit way, I guess it's a gray area. Also, is it legal if you beat the crap out of someone for stealing your stuff?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Great video. What about the time stamp on your mixed project from your DAW? I always looked at that as being a legit way, I guess it's a gray area. Also, is it legal if you beat the crap out of someone for stealing your stuff?
Good question Fade!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
What about if you create something and upload it to a website, that has a timestamp on it too. How would that hold up in court?

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
Hey Fade,

Time stamps (exporting from DAW) – These can be forged easily.. People would alter time to reset full demo to applications, this way they could use the app forever...Doesn't hold up in court

Publishing content to a site, this also doesn't prove who owns the work it just proves who publish it 1st . This wont help in court either

in order to file a claim (copyright infringement) you need to have it registered in Washington

So... if the person is smarter than you and they copyright your work before you do... you're assed out

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Honestly, people can steal your beat and you likely will have no recourse. It all depends on the strength of your relationship with the person in power and if they respect you enough to not steal your shit.

The legit way is to make sure to have a copyright with the Library of Congress in case an issue does arise. But in order to win, you have to prove that the person you copied somehow had access to your music and then had intent to copy it.

For example, you can literally have the same song, melody line, etc. jacked from you by a crooked producer. But when the producer who jacked your music takes the stand all he has to say is "I was inspired by Jesus Christ" when asked where did he come up with the beat, and you have no evidence to prove a chain of events where the producer may have been exposed to your music... then you're screwed.

Happens so much in the music biz, don't want to even talk about. Everyone steals. Get used to it.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i would just use a good number of songs to copyright... like 10 songs at a time... therefore, when u have 5 albums copyrighted, you'll have 50 songs... 10 seems like a good way to go.. and everytime u get the 10th one done, u send them out to get them copyrighted.. then release them to the world once u know theyve been registered.. no need to rush it... you've waited this long, u can wait a little longer... once u got a good amount out there, the abundance of tracks pretty much work on their own.. and ur still in the lab, makin ur next 10.

da relic