Copywriting Sampled beats

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I hear some people on here saying you can copywrite sampled beats and others saying you can not. All of my beats are sampled, has anyone here sent there sampled beats to be copywrited without permission from the sampling artists. I have 30+ beats i want to get copywrited because people want to lease them and buy them, and there is no way i can get permission from all those artists. So i guess can i get them copywrited and lease them, but make sure that the artists doesnt distribute them for money unless they get permission. I know i can just sell them and lease them, but once they leak out, anyone could get ahold of them and make money off of them. For those who have done this, please explain how this all works?????????? THANKS

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I have....its the composition and arrangement you are gettting the copyright to....now as far as usage for anything being sold or even promoted you need permission and perhaps a mechanical license......but also you register it as having an existing work, which what I did was find the original song's album and copyright registration #, entered that on the form and said that my track was (a remix or just a new composition and arrangement of an existing work)...now the technicality is you really do need that permission...but on the copyright form they usually dont call you on it....I never had it happen and yes I have copyrwrittin a lot of joints as you know I have been doing some co producing for about a year on the lo....but anyhow the thing is you need to alter that track a certain amount so that it really does not bear a great resemblance to the original work...you have to come up with a new work from the existing....this becomes a new work....but the catch is its still based on another persons copyright so you need permission or else if this came up as an issue you would probably either get sued or be found to infringe on the original.........remember a sample is a sound recording....so there is a copyright for that and if the original writers had sheet music that is another copyright and most of the time a lot of the really dope stuff thats good to sample probably had sheet music and someone copywrote that arrangement.....you are altering the sound recording that has been registered....I would as always ask and attorney or talk to the copyright office for your country...

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
you can start here
http://www.harryfox.com/index.jsp
they grant mechanical licenses

but the easiest way and this might seem like a pain but if you can find the owner of the copyright and get written permission you can use it, its easier than you think it might take some detective work but i have heard of some with success in that way, yes a drum break is covered under copyright law, its a sound recording, main thing its like this, you might think its nothing to take a snippet of something and think you could get away with it.....to the drummer or musician or whoever own the copyright if you made a lot of money off their efforts they gonna more than likely want a piece of that and probably go about it legally...

djswivel

Producer Extraordinaire
ill o.g.
everything you sample needs to be mentioned in the copyright PA form. There is a section, I believe its 6a, where you are supposed to write down any material derived from etc. That goes for ALL drums, melodies, vocals etc. Anything that wasn't yours needs to be mentioned. And you shouldnt have a problem getting it copywritten. I never have.

Honestly, you know how much shit they get in there at the copyright office? Do you actually think they sit down and listen to everything and on top of that, know what is sampled and what isn't? There are government workers who sit in an office filing paperwork. Not music people.