Creating your own 'unique' sound

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
Rhythmikal said:
that came out Kanye's own mouth. listen to the drums on Xxplosive and tell me you didnt hear that sound/pattern in 90% of early Kanye records.
His argument isn't that Kanye didnt still the drums from Dre....just that he didnt take his unique sound from dre.......he took it from rza and NO I.D.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
Rhythmikal said:
that came out Kanye's own mouth. listen to the drums on Xxplosive and tell me you didnt hear that sound/pattern in 90% of early Kanye records.

yea he took a drum pattern i knew that but he didn't take dre's sound i don't think anyone would say his beats sound like dre !

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Qwerty said:
This is exactly what I was going to post. I did want to have my own sound, but i found out that the best thing is to focus is making something hot, no matter what it sounds like. I don't care if I make a beat and someone says: Oh that's a dre beat. As long as they say this after "but it's straight fiyya"

Like someone said also, your sound is really based on your background, the type of music you like. Me when I make a beat, I try to make a beat as a listener, not as a producer. Cuz I feel that if I start making beat as a producer i'm gonna end up doing some experimental wack shit, or try to always come up with something different and end up busting my head to make something.

Querty, you always keep it real homie! I agree, its important to worry about keeping your tracks original, but at the same time, I make sure even if my beat has elements other producers have heard, it still is hot blazing crack music. For example, cool and dre dont sound like any other producers but they capitalize on trends and take small things and influences from other peoples sound and create their own. Can anybody say that when rock and roll came out that all the bands had their own style, hell no! they were all tryin to mimic the beatles, but they did it in their own way so they ended up creating something original but at the same time something that would catch the public's ears and get them interested.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Qwerty said:
This is exactly what I was going to post. I did want to have my own sound, but i found out that the best thing is to focus is making something hot, no matter what it sounds like. I don't care if I make a beat and someone says: Oh that's a dre beat. As long as they say this after "but it's straight fiyya"

Like someone said also, your sound is really based on your background, the type of music you like. Me when I make a beat, I try to make a beat as a listener, not as a producer. Cuz I feel that if I start making beat as a producer i'm gonna end up doing some experimental wack shit, or try to always come up with something different and end up busting my head to make something.

i agree. i think you have to reach a certain level of ability in making beats before you usually start to develope your own sound. not to say everything is a duplication, but you gotta develope you creativity to some extent.

carlinitroso

ill o.g.
Having no style is being the greatest. Because you are the most versatile.

Don't worry about developing style... Just worry about making different sounding beats that are hot...

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
^^^^that's true to a certain extent, but then again, why would someone ask specifically for your track? If you sound like any other person, why take your beats specifically?

I dont know, but to me, having your sound is having a personality as a beatmaker.

bobhellbringer

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
i believe my "style" at this state in my beatmaking is when i'm making a beat and making everything without thinking about trying to sound like a certain person/style so it's when i would take a record and pick the part and do the drums and stuff without thinking how i should sound like Kanye West or someone. Also the only time i find a really good use for chipmunk vocals is to lessen lowend, "kill the vocal's background drums" and if it's stretched to short.

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
I think i'm at the time now, where i'm starting to develop my own sound, i know where i wanna go now.. so in the next year i can really focus on that.. i want to make sample hiphop, combined with real dirty synthleads and basses... Some weird tripped out ish, it won't sell lots of records but it's the style i really find pleasure in making!

Peace what 's good.. Lazy Eyes aka Volltz!

T

TeeBlack

most of us people who by God given talent cook up beats that move, shake and on the long run unite the world have in each of us, a unique approach to the music that comes forth from within us. your style is the way you interprete that sound you hear in your head. sometimes, it's influenced by what you hear around you but as time goes on, it just blossoms on it's own. of course that's if you're not some lame ass wannabe producer toiling in the wrong farm!!!