CreativeLive Online Classes

Koey

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 24
Appreciate the link. I'm def gonna listen in to that this weekend. Thoughts on the class?

Honestly, I know the gist of what compression does as well as the parameters associated with it, but when I sit down to mix after I get all the elements at levels that sit well together, my ear doesn't tell me like "oh, that snare needs some compression" or "the bassline def needs some compression on it." Because of that I kind of stray away from using it. Short answer, I rarely use it. I've experimented with it somewhat, but a lot of times, I don't like how boxed in it makes things sound. I feels like it traps elements and doesn't allow it to have it's original open sound for my ear. Maybe I was using it wrong at that point which caused it to sound that way.

I'll usually throw it on my master channel along with a limiter, but just use a slight compression to help with the dynamic range a bit.

I've gone through YouTube videos on it, but I haven't come across anything elaborate that kind of takes you through the thought process of when and how to use it in conjunction with all the other elements going on in your mix. Plus majority of the "guides" on YouTube are from people who think they know what they're talking about/might know what they're talking about, but aren't great at delivering the message. Plus most people aren't going to put up hour long videos discussing the topic which I feel like is needed to gain a solid understanding of the subject.

Koey

ILLIEN
I'm almost done going through the EQ class. Pretty dope learning experience and perspective on the topic. It's already helped reground my foundation on what, how, and why EQ should be used. Before, I had no clue what I was doing and experimenting through trial and error. Trial and error is always a good basis for self-learning, but with something technical like this, I think it's better to have some sort of strong foundation to work up from. It would have been a huge time saver. Y'all should check it out. Great way to work on your craft if you've got the money to spend on it. They sometimes do free broadcasts of the class but you won't have the opportunity to listen back to it if needed.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
True. I think most people tend to go for a VST first before even thinking of EQ. Whenever I'm mixing, the first thing I think of is what I can EQ, and it really does make a world of difference.

TriKRaps

Whats life without hip-hop?
Battle Points: 4
really? im really thinking how to fix something that sounds off or bad, why do you think about using just a certain tool?
True. I think most people tend to go for a VST first before even thinking of EQ. Whenever I'm mixing, the first thing I think of is what I can EQ, and it really does make a world of difference.

Koey

ILLIEN

Word I did as well but after understanding why was huge for me. Conceptually, I've already got a better grasp of how to sonically approach my mixes now. Just gotta put it into practice haha.

really? im really thinking how to fix something that sounds off or bad, why do you think about using just a certain tool?

Sound is made up of frequencies. EQ is a tool that helps cut or boost specific frequencies of a sound to help it go from sounding "bad" to good when listening to all the tracks of a mix together. That's why it is the most important thing when it comes to mixing.

Damn lol listening to that class already makes me feel more knowledgeable about EQ. I'm just regurgitating what I learned. I'm by no means good at this. Tryna get there though haha.