Creativity Block

K.C

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
We all get it, what do you guy's do to overcome it ? have a read of this.......

<center><font color="green">George Gamez, Ph.D.</center></font color>
The Invisible Wall
A wall is any obstacle that gets in the way of accomplishing our goals. It is a block to expressing our creativity. Frequently, anxiety separates us from the things we need to work on. But anxiety is not the only thing that impedes our progress. Other psychological blocks are fear, frustration, anger and other negative emotions.
Whatever the emotion or psychological state that keeps us away from our work, it usually creates an invisible wall. This wall is transparent; however it colors the manner in which objects (our work or people at work) are seen through it. Since we can see through to the other side of the wall, we don't see the wall. We don't realize that the wall is allowing us to see, but only in a distorted manner. The wall imbues the objects on the other side with negative feelings. Thus, we are likely to avoid the negative feelings and the object associated with them.

Let me share my personal experience of this process. I regularly jot down ideas for articles or stories on small pieces of paper and then record them on a cassette tape. I do the same thing with musical ideas. What often happens is that over time I collect a small mountain of papers and/or cassettes filled with ideas. Now at that point I dread going back to search through the pile to find the most beautiful and useful pearls. But I need to separate the best from the rest in an order to "polish and refine" them. It is at this time that I experience The Anxiety Wall, a transparent but ominous ingredient that causes me to become anxious; nervous. When this happens, it is easy to avoid the task at hand.

Years ago, before I began to identify the invisible wall, I was only aware of that I was avoiding the papers/cassettes. The task of starting my creative work was uncomfortable and I found it easier to procrastinate than to commit myself to work. One day, I sat on the couch next to the tapes which were scattered all over the floor. It was then that I became aware of the invisible wall that existed between me an the tapes. It was like something out of those science fiction movies where impenetrable walls are built out of magnetic fields.

The Solution
Once I realized that the wall existed, my battle was half won. A popular action among good problem solvers is that a problem is half- solved once we define it. I remembered from my research that a key element in being creative was being able to tolerate ambiguity. Here it was: ambiguity that was making me anxious. Once I defined the Anxiety Wall as a major problem in doing my creative work, the solution was easy: Relaxation techniques.

©1998 George Gamez Ph.d

CampO

BEAT u DOWN
ill o.g.
Yea im goin threw that right now I dont think there is way 2 overcome it u just gotta let it run its course

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
whenever i get a creativity block, i just stop, and wait. Thats all you can do to overcome it.

members online