cubase cakewalk or pro tools

stabster

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Here's the dilly. I want you guys to comment on wich program would suit me best. Im going to record my beats from the mpc into my computer track by track, and then mix and master them there. Also record vocals and such. Im not going to use Midi that much yet, but im not sure about the future. Any comments?

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

Cubase or Sonar.

1. Great audio recording and editing.
2. Great MIDI recording and editing (and you WILL want to use it).
3. Will work with any soundcard and MIDI interface.

I'm a fan of Cubase because I like the GUI, but Sonar is equally as powerful.

Take care,

Nick

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'm a big Cakewalk fan, and even though there's a few features from Pro Audio that have changed in Sonar, you can't go wrong. It's extremely powerful.

Tim D

Bitchn' Bout IRS
ill o.g.
For Cakewalk Sonar u can record both regular audio and MIDI?

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I have been using cubase since 3.7...and cakewalk proaudio 9....before protools Le....now I use cubase & sonar...along with Protools.....I think that for some reason when I process or record audio in either sonar or cubase for some reason it could be my imagination but.....the sound is better or warmer.....plus I believe to really use the full potential of protools you need to get something like the waves gold mastering suite to get everything out of it....

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
Originally posted by bigdmakintrax
.....I think that for some reason when I process or record audio in either sonar or cubase for some reason it could be my imagination but.....the sound is better or warmer.........

DITTO

numerike

ill o.g.
I would go cubase. I been using it for a couple years now alongside Reason (just for DrRex), and it has been a dream to use. I havent used protools, but i have heard that cubase kills it on the MIDI side, but protools is better for audio recording... I play most of my stuff in midi, and so would alot of hip-hop artists (expect for mixing mic if you arent only making beats). But you wanted to do live drums/guitar etc, protools is the way to go.

C

Copenhagen

Originally posted by MadScientist
Logic for MIDI and Pro Tools for audio........

:shoot:Cubase:barf: :finger: SUCKS!!!

MadScientist, it's ok to have an opinion but we both know that the above will only provoke Cubase users (if anything) and perhaps cause an unnecessary debate. Why not bring an intelligent arguement to the table why you think Cubase is poor? No disrespect, I'm just noticing that you do this sometimes...

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

Why not Logic for MIDI AND audio? Or Pro Tools for MIDI AND audio? It seems like a lot of extra effort to use two programs when one can handle both tasks. The Logic/Pro Tools combo is a hangover from when those programs could only do their respective jobs, I'm talking from a few years ago...

Cubase sucks? Have you actually USED Cubase? Why does it suck?

Take care,

Nick

W

Wisdom

I am a Cakewalk user mostly, but my dad uses cubase and swears by it. For ease of use Cakewalk is pretty good and the MIDI and audio features have worked well for me.

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
Originally posted by Copenhagen
MadScientist, it's ok to have an opinion but we both know that the above will only provoke Cubase users (if anything) and perhaps cause an unnecessary debate. Why not bring an intelligent argument to the table why you think Cubase is poor? No disrespect, I'm just noticing that you do this sometimes...

Copenhagen ...... it seems like you and only you have a problem with my comments (sometimes other people but they have valid points)..... is it because you like to disagree with me? Grow up and stop following me just to disagree. I already know what you will say in your reply to this post. The usual ...... ("yada, yada, yada") again this is exactly my point in another thread ....

https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=18108#post18108

just because people use a certain software that I don't like or speak bad about they get offended. Some people have better ways of approaching the situation. Copenhagen is not one of them. Why is it that vitaminman can approach a debate in a respectful way but you can't.
Originally posted by vitaminman
Hey,

Why not Logic for MIDI AND audio? Or Pro Tools for MIDI AND audio? It seems like a lot of extra effort to use two programs when one can handle both tasks. The Logic/Pro Tools combo is a hangover from when those programs could only do their respective jobs, I'm talking from a few years ago...

Cubase sucks? Have you actually USED Cubase? Why does it suck?

Take care,

Nick
Its like you take it personal and attack me and not the situation. So why not bring an intelligent argument to the table of why Cubase is better than Logic or Pro Tools. Instead of focusing on me, try focusing on my opinion of Cubase. No disrespect, I'm just noticing that you do this sometimes... When I say it sucks its all based on experience because I've used it before. I will never speak on something I don't try. Its my opinion and preference of software. I don't like it. I don't like the way its set up. I'm a Mac guy. I'd rather use Logic for MIDI and Pro Tools for audio. Thats just the way do like to do things. Some people have there own way of doing things I'm not trying to change anybodys mind. I'm simply stating Cubase sucks. If anyone had common sense then you would realize this is a opinion and not a fact. Because I say it sucks doesn't mean that it does. It sucks to me because I don't like the way it operates. So all you tech heads can save a reply for me, braking down how its better. Address it to someone else.