Cubase SX2

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
This christmas I will hopefully have my basic set up done. I'm getting a mpc2000xl, midi keyboard, new soundcard, stanton SA5 dj mixer, and a software sequencer.

I was thinking of cubaseSX2 for my sequencer, and was wondering if any of ya'll have tried it out and think its any good? Is there any difference between this one and SX apart from the price?

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

Been following SX2 very closely for the past few months, there are some nice features in it which make it worth buying if it's your first sequencer, but to fork out $150 for an upgrade from 1.06 doesn't seem worth it in my book...

You should ask over at the Cubase.net forum, people over there are yelling their heads off about it:

http://forum.cubase.net/cgi-bin/cubase.net/Ultimate.cgi

Take care,

Nick

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
well vitaminamn just said it; remember that cubase sx 2.0 is still full ofbugs, depending on who you speak to; some have had zero problems and others have had a nightmare of a time with it, but 1.06 is very solid now.

thats a nice setup, mind you. what kind of midi keyboard are you getting? cubase sx + mpc = GREAT start.

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks for the feedback. I was thinking of getting an oxygen8 keyboard but looking at it, it's way too small. I know how to play the keys but i haven't touched my old yamaha in ages!

I wanna be able to play chords and melodies at high and low ends of the keyboard, any of you guys got some suggestions? I was thinking maybe an edirol

numerike

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I wouldnt suggest getting an MPC to go with Cubase SX coz you will be overlapping certain areas. Only reason i would get MPC instead of my setup with midi keyboard and nuendo would be that MPC is more mobile. If $$$ isnt a prob than go for it... but there would be a better option by using SX2, MPD-16, and midi keyboard for a fraction of the price. I have tried SX2 and was hell laggy on my PC and was having a few problems with it. I ended up using Nuendo 2 (which is beefed up SX), and it runs sweet as.

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm getting the MPC second hand with 32mb for a cheap price. Could you elaborate on "overlapping certain areas"?(i know about the sequencers etc.) Both these pieces of kit seem to be quality to me, and i'm getting them at an afforadable price.

You telling me that you've never bought a piece of kit that could do same job as something that you've already got?

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by DjDelay

You telling me that you've never bought a piece of kit that could do same job as something that you've already got?

Nope. Thats called a waste of money. Theres othere things I need to buy (Sound libraries, Plug-ins, records, synths, etc. ). But hay its your money, if you wanna spend 1000+ for a box just to sample then go 4 it. I dont think its taking advantage of your computer's power tho.

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Originally posted by Some Guy
If you wanna spend 1000+ for a box just to sample then go 4 it.

Hello!? Did you not read the previous post? SECOND HAND = ALOT CHEAPER THAN FIRST HAND PRICE

I get what your saying, but the MPC i predict will become an indespensable tool for me. Why do you think so many more people stand by their MPC and not Battery?:confused:

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I dont really care about what other people do. I do my own thing. I study feature sets then I make a decision. I dont get what everybody else has. Matter fact, if I find out everybody has something I usually get the opposite.

The Yamaha RS7000 has better specs than the MPC for less money if you wanna get technical. The MPC is more of a sequencer than a sampler. I mean it samples but it has limited editing and is slow. If you're not gonna be sequencing in it then you're just getting a mediocre sampler. Atleast do some research before you buy. I mean name 1 thing the MPC sampler can do that Kontakt/Battery cant.

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
"Some Guy" I started this thread off wanting to know about Cubase SX2, not why you hate on MPC's. If you like the RS7000 fine, don't try and impose your views on others rather instead of adding constructively to this thread.

"Atleast do some research before you buy" - Thanks for the advice, and yes i have done research. And for someone like me in my current situation i feel the MPC fills in all of my criteria.

I don't have the time or energy to pointlessly waste with someone on the other side of the planet

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Chill I'm not imposing anything on you. I used to work with a MPC myself. Thats how I know its not the only way to make good music, or even the best way. But get what you want man I aint trippin. "Hate on the MPC"? That thing is a piece of gear man its not human who gives a fuck.

Anyways, SX2 has a lot of advantages over SX1. It has PDC (Plug in delay compensation) on sends and busses now. Before it only had it on audio insert channels. It has effect rack channels instead of the old effect rack. So basically you can have as many sends as you want. It has multi-lane recording so you can do cycle record and see each take on separate tracks within a audio clip. It has instrument "freeze" but its kinda wack compared to the Logic version. It doesnt dissapear like version 1.05 used to. So I would say its worth getting 2.0.

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Right, thanks for the advice. I gonna get CubaseSX as i know newly released software always has bugs in it. I checked out some videos of the RS7000 on the net, it looks hot.

But it's expensive, and its resale value is pretty expensive too. You got one of these? Whats your opinion on it?

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
RS7000 is definitely nice it comes with more memory and a few more features than the MPC. But it sounds like you're getting a better deal with the used MPC. So I would go for that if money's tight.

Cubase SX2 has a lot less major bugs than 1.x. Lots of new features too. Make sure to get a good soundcard if not you can look forward to cracks/pops/drop outs/latency and all kinda problems with SX. Good soundcard with good drivers is the key. Something by Echo, M-audio, or RME would be my choices.

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
One of my studio potnas has it and I'm overthere all the time. I'm still waiting for my upgrade to get here in the mail. Should be here in a couple of days hopefully.