Interviews Da IllFellaz

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Da IllFellaz recently won our yearly Battle That! Competition, adding to an already impressive resume. We took the time to ask members Nomics and DJ Deuce about their win, as well as their productions.

daillfellaz1.jpg

When did you first start making beats?

DJ Deuce: I started playin' around with making beats around '99-'00. But I didn't start taking it seriously 'til around '03. I never sampled too much though. Everything I did was with different keyboards and other instruments.
Nomics: I started messing with beats way back in '02. Deuce and I ain't get together till '06. I started sample free, then started raping vinyl, then went back to sample free. So basically, any type of track you need, we can make.

daillfellaz2.jpg

What equipment did you start out with?

Nomics I first started with a laptop and a bootleg copy of Fruity Loops and used the stupid default sounds. Once I learned I could take ANY WAV file and use it in FL, it was a WRAP!!! I would buy sound CD's off EBay left and right. Then I found out that there was TONS of other cats just like me online. We began to just start trading sounds. Now, we got a good 6 Gigs of stuff. But we are ALWAYS searching for new sounds.
DJ Deuce: I started by looping sounds on a KARAOKE MACHINE with two tape decks. I'd record one sound then play it while I recorded another and just do that mad times to add more sounds. As I started to take it more seriously, my equipment got more serious.
Nomics: Now, we got a REAL version of FL Studio, TONS of soft synths, Pro Tools (MBox), and Serato for software. On the hardware side, we got a Yamaha Motif ES6, Roland XV 5080, Korg Triton, Technics 1200s, and TONS TONS TONS of vinyl. That's just the production side.

Who were some of your earlier influences when you started?

DJ Deuce: My first musical influence was my brother. He had a band when I was little and I'd always mess with the instruments. I started playing the drums and guitar when I was young, then picked up the keys later on. I kind of just put it all together when I got in to hip-hop.
Nomics: DJ PREMIER!!! I used to listen to ANYTHING PREMO DID!!! All the Gangstarr albums, all the Group Home shit. EVERYTHING. He laced EVERYONE from underground to mainstream. I really didn't know much other than him back then.

Who are some of your current influences?

Nomics: But WOW have things changed. First and foremost, I'm influenced by my family (wife and kids). I'm influenced by ANYONE and EVERYONE who makes music PERIOD. Still Premo da God, but JUST BLAZE (THE NICEST), Alchemist, Nottz, Ayatollah, TIMBO (how could I forget), DR. DRE (basically), Krysis (slept on), The Runners, The Neptunes, Kanye, HI Tek, Trackmasters... MAN, I COULD GO ON N ON. I'm influenced by the cat who made the High School Musical soundtrack cause that shit is PLATINUM.
DJ Deuce: Of course my family is a huge influence... they always support my music. And just the hip-hop community, as a whole, influences our music and what comes out of us.

daillfellaz3.jpg

What is your take on the industry currently?

Nomics: Do you really want me to answer this? It's VERY frustrating to listen to the radio. I don't understand why WE or anyone on this website aren't on it. However, I can't be mad at no one for trying to make a hit record (Cause that's what it's about nowadays). Labels don't care about the current status of hip hop. They want the artist to create their own buzz, create their own fan base, market themselves, and then they will sign 'em, push the record, make AS MUCH MONEY AS POSSIBLE on that record, and then never put out another song from that artist again. It's basically that simple. This shit is just as much about TIMING and being at the right place at the right time than anything else. A LOT of artists don't understand that. There are FAD records, and records that are TIMELESS. That TI record with the crystal waters sample is TIMELESS. I can bump that shit all day. That Crank Dat Soulja Boy is a FAD record, but I can't hate on the cat for doing him. He made that shit in his bedroom and posted it online. THINK ABOUT HOW MUCH MONEY HE AND COLLIPARK SAVED!!!
DJ Deuce: Nomics basically summed it up pretty good but I also feel that the digital age is HURTING music ESPECIALLY hip-hop. Records sales are way down and labels have to make as much money as they can off of one single, which means iTunes and ring tones sales are a must. Since the labels are making their money from downloaded singles... one-hit-wonders win, which in turn depreciates the music. The "career artists" are the ones always making the music better and it's near impossible to create a "career artist" these days, so the music in general gets worse.

And, what would you change?

DJ Deuce: It's not going to get any easier, I suggest to everyone:

1. Make TIMELESS records. Don't jump on what's HOT right now, jump on what's hot TOMORROW!!! F dat, MAKE what's hot TOMORROW!!!
  2. GET YOUR BUSINESS RIGHT!!! INCORPORATE; write off EVERYTHING you can at the end of the year. If you work with an artist, SIGN THEM TO YOUR COMPANY. He/she could blow up and leave you in the dust if the contract isn't signed. GET YOURSELF A GOOD LAWYER!!! Get a bank account to keep your shit official.
  3. Get your music OUT!!! That shit ain't gonna do a DAMN thing just sitting on your computer. GET THAT SHIT OUT!!! There's too many websites to get your music heard. MySpace, Soundclick, You Tube, etc. The list goes ON N ON and they are ALL FREE!!!!
  4. PAY YOUR DUES and NEVER STOP LEARNING!!! This shit ain't gon happen overnite. Understand the value of a GOOD MIX!!! Listen to your favorite CD, listen to the radio. Listen to how they record their vocals. See why the hat is panned to the left and the snare is in the middle on a mono track. LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES!!! Don't just make beats, PRODUCE A RECORD!!! PRODUCE AN ENTIRE ALBUM!!!!
  5. BE HUMBLE!!! NOBODY WANTS TO WORK WIT A STANK ARTIST OR PRODUCER!!! I just read that 5th Sequence post on that R&B chick he was working with. You did the right thing 5th. If she was the shit, why is she there with YOU recording? That must mean YOU the shit too right!!!
daillfellaz4.jpg

Name some projects you have been involved in and what you have coming in the future...

DJ Deuce: We have produced records for Ty Butta, Milly Warbucks, Ameer, Capone of CNN, and Princess of Crime Mob. Currently, we're in the studio with Midas The King, who we actually just signed to our company, Equilibrium Entertainment, LLC. Produced his entire album; The Gold Standard, due out 1st Qtr. 2008 on EQ Records. Singles are available for download at iTunes, Rhapsody, Napster and eMusic.

Nomics: We're also in the studio working with Milly Warbucks on some new material with a new single "Chea, Chea" ft. Princess from Crime Mob, due out January 2008. DJ Deuce also spins at the BIGGEST club spots in Upstate, NY and is a member of the World Famous Vinyl Squad.
DJ Deuce: Lastly, we have our hand in radio production. We're still producing "Full Throttle Radio" with Fatman Scoop and DJ Mr. Vince every week. "Full Throttle" is an internationally syndicated mix-show that airs on 20 U.S. markets, as well as in 11 other countries.

How did you find IllMuzik and how did it help you with your production skills?

Nomics: I think it's because I Google'd Cleverwon Productions one time and it brought me to this site. I use to be and still am a big fan of his music. I used to be like damn, his shit is CRAZY. I remember when I told him that, he was blown away. Now I got his number and can call him whenever I want. Out of ALL the sites I've been on, this is the ONLY one that I am CONTINOUSLY checking out everyday. At work, at home, it don't matter. There are A LOT of helpful articles, reviews, posts, people who can lead you in the right direction for anything and everything.
DJ Deuce: Nomics put me onto it and I've been hooked ever since.

daillfellaz5.jpg

Name a few favorite beat makers/producers on the "Ill" that you are feeling right now.

Nomics: There's a lot of cats I'm feeling. Ash Holmz (Smash Brothers) seems to have his hustle right. Beatz101 seems to be getting things popping too. Obviously Clev. If I ain't say your name, don't be mad, I see y'all too. You seem to be doing the damn thing too Stress.

Besides music, what are some other loves you have?

Nomics: I love my wife, I love my kids. I love crushing my wife and I love playing with my kids. I love playing ball, I love a good cognac on the rocks (with a splash of coke) and a cold Heineken . Pretty much it's either all of the above or music.
DJ Deuce: I'm pretty much the same minus the wifey and the kids. It's all about the music and researching the industry. I also love rocking crowds when I'm DJin' in the club there's nothin' like it.

In ten years, where will you be as far as music?

DJ Deuce: God willing, we are in the game full time making TIMELESS records. That's the long term goal. Getting placements, pushing our artists, specifying our sound. But nobody knows what is going to happen. You can just work as hard as you can to get there.
daillfellaz6.jpg

What has changed since the last time we interviewed you? (2004)

Nomics: TONS!!!! I had another gift from God for starters. Married, more mature, and more business minded than ever. Don't sample nearly as much as I used to. Now I just sample DJ Deuece. HAHA!!! It's a lot easier to put things out when you don't have to clear samples. It helps in the bank account as well. Deuce and I are now part owners of Equilibrium Entertainment, LLC. Signed our first artist, with more on the way. We are just so much more business oriented and have a greater understanding of the industry and how it works.

What's with the name "Da IllFellaz"?

Nomics: It's a total coincidence that we are called Da "Ill" Fellaz and this is "Ill"Muzik. We weren't even thinking of it at the time. But it kinda just stuck wit us.
DJ Deuce: Actually, Nomics came up with the name. I was feelin it so we ran with it. We used to be close friends in high school and then lost contact once we went away to college. Once we graduated and got back in touch, we found out we were both doing music. Nomics had me come thru his spot one night and the first beat we ever made was CRACK!!! It was instant chemistry. From then on we knew we had something and that music was the reason we met in high school.

If you were forced to choose one piece of hardware or software to use, what would it be and why?

Nomics: Hardware, I would have to go with the Yamaha Motif ES6. THAT SHIT IS A CRACK MACHINE!!!! I think we use that on EVERY beat we have made. If it were software, FL STUDIO!!!! You don't even need anything else. That program is SO POWERFUL (Lil Drama Boi) in the right hands. You can do EVERYTHING (create, edit, mix, master, record) in FL. Shit, we gotta buy stock in FL.
DJ Deuce: I have to agree with Nomics. People say that the Motif sounds are old but, you can EQ the shit like crazy or add some effects. The only sounds I see getting' tired in the Motif are the drums but, that's with every machine, in my opinion. We rarely, if ever, use it for the drums regardless though.

daillfellaz7.jpg

How did it feel winning the Beat This and then the Battle That competition?

Nomics: We've won a Beat This competition before and it's cool. Nice to be recognized amongst the talent here. The Battle That was a first. All the beats we used were a good 2-3 yrs old. I just remixed them a little something because I've learned a lot since then. Deuce threw some original stuff on top. We KNEW we had to go with samples because this site LOVES flipping shit. That was our game plan going in and I'm surprised Beatz changed up what he had been doing. Maybe he was showing he can go sample free. We do that in the showcases. GOOD LOOK BEATZ!!!
DJ Deuce: Yeah the samples were a MUST but, there were some we added keys to and one beat we did a complete re-play of a sample. Either way it felt good to win against such strong competition. All the producers really came wit it.

How did you put together your winning beat?

Nomics: Back in 05, the beat came from a Queen record I had picked up. Queen has yet to clear a record so I KNOW it will never be cleared. I just did my usual 30-40 chops and started to get creative. I knew there were a lot of vocals in the beat but I didn't care. I threw in some drums, which I actually changed about 3 or 4 times cause I wasn't feeling the bounce in them. Deuce came in later and added a simple bassline and some keys and VOILA!!! It's just a beat that while probably never be cleared, nothing crazy, just a beat.

Do you battle often? (Live battles, online, etc)

DJ Deuce: We've done a few online battles. Live, we've done the IPA Producer Battle and the iStandard Producer Battles in NYC. They were both cool. We didn't place but we learned where our music stood and how far away we are from getting some placements. We've just been building on it ever since.

Any shout outs you'd like to give?

Nomics: I would like to send love to my entire family especially my wife and kids. My partner DJ Deuce, Cathy, Midas the King, Milly Warbucks, Ty Butta, Ameer. Shout out to DJ Mr. Vince, Fatman Scoop, Capone and Princess. Shout out to ALL ILLMUZIK MEMBERS!!! There's way too many to name. EQ!!!!!

members online