dac vs. the world

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I feel like I'm jumping out there on a limb but here goes...

First, I must set some things straight...This thread isn't meant to offend anyone. I have been a member at ILLMUZIK a lot longer than most. I've seen a lot of changes both good and some not so good IMO. The time has come for me to speak my mind on certain issues. Once again, I'm not attacking anyone in particular. I will try to be brief but accurate to assure that this post is read by others, the problem with being brief is that it opens the wrong doors and leaves room for someone to misunderstand what I'm saying.

This whole Illmuzik awards thing, I think its a great idea but it's not being used correctly. I read that the concept behind having the illmuzik awards was to promote and build community. I personally don't see how nominating within the main sources of illmuzik will do that, it's kind of like adding a room inside your house by cutting an existing room in half, yes you've built but you've done it within your home, you haven't increased the size of the house at all. You've actually built a group within a group which promotes separation within and not community. I'm sure some will say "he's upset that he wasn't nominated..." let me assure you, thats not the case at all. I don't strive off of others opinions or need the recognition to be popular. I am merely a self sufficient person.

Some of you guys attitudes needs to be addressed. I've seen some really harsh responses to posts which addresses how "other" people feel. Only to be overlooked because you didn't technically break the rules of the boards, however, you have broken the rules of the streets and the rules of life in general. In the real world, you disrespect the wrong person and there will be trouble for you or them. How can you dare to impose your opinions on how "John Doe" feels? I started a thread called "On a more serious note..." in which this was addressed, I was talking about Music Production specifically but this applies to life in general as well. Sometimes, if you don't have anything good, positive or constructive to say, sometimes it's better not to say anything. Don't get me wrong, you can be honest and constructive without being an asshole but some of you seem to look for the opportunity to do so and just jump right in. Thinking before you speak will pay off in the long run.

Building a community is not about any of the things I have talked about above. Thats the destruction of community. To build you must increase from the outside not the inside. You must make everyone feel at home, whether you like or dislike what they say. If you have a problem you should try to make amends with that person first, then go to mods & admin. if it's still not worked out. I had an issue with a moderator, I took the issue to him, I didn't go running to admin. about it because I honestly felt that it could be solved between the two of us and as far as I'm concerned it was...so I give props to the very moderator that I had an issue with. Thats building community! Thats how it's done on the streets and in "real" life. Recognize...

In conclusion, ILLMUZIK has been good to me. I have learned a lot here, I have helped some and that should be what it's all about. Contributing to a real community. Lay all that wanna-be thug ish down for a minute and realize that there are real people in this internet world. Bottom line.

Once again, I was very brief on purpose. I have no personal griefs with anyone here. Some of you, I couldn't care any less about (as far as your opinions, and I'm sure that goes both ways...) but you will never know it without me telling you face to face. (Building Community) The issues I addressed were only a few of many but the rest may or may not come at another time.

MAN ON FIRE

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
I just want to reply to the "group within a group" thing.

As someone thats relatively new here compared to some people I see things from a different perspective. Its very hard to integrate into this "comunity" because you have a group here that is very tight and I can see how that would put off new members from really taking part here.

NW

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Hmmmmm..Well thats somthing Ill think about there..
Neither are completely wrong, but, I think in comparison to other sites this is a cool ass community.
Dac you been here since 03 , yet I only met you a month ago or so..And of course we good and all, shit your right up the street technically lol..You had to dip out and handle yours and the site evolved I guess.
I am prolly not even qualified to speak since you been here since 03 albeit quietly but Ill take to heart the fact that we do tend to get posse'd up or so..
Actually I get down with cats that have 0 to 100 posts here that are real, but they learn alot from Ill.
Someone with mo experience needs to respond prolly, but I see what your sayin but at the same time I dont see why you mad..Just me...

And Noble you bring that home, however it aint hard to get "In" if thats what it is if you have the will to..
Just make good music and folk respond..Granted I be Nieve on shit so ...sayin..

Additionally the Illawards are for nolife fuckers like myself I guess who just live on the site and know whats goin on all the time..
OR any member who wants to participate..
IE: Last years shit to me was funny as hell because the whole thing was condensed to one thread, without the shoutbox at that time, so jockying for postion was hot and heavy and funny as hell.
Lotsa shit talkin , BUT erbody was good afterwards and so we keep makin hiphop..
I love the community..NP if Im missin it hell I prolly am.. but..hey..

In fact aint no one here vs you Dacalion lol...
You briing alot to the spot, but you been gone for a "sec" Dac..
Just ....I mean what do you wanna do doot? Hell Im down..
Get in where ya fit in no?

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Relic first let me say thanks for stepping up, this thread has had a lot of views but no responses. I did say that I was gonna jump out on a limb so I expected that but anyway, I'm not mad at all, I am frustrated about some of the things I'm observing and it's not primarily directed at me but somebody has to step to the plate because it's not getting any better. For starters, I saw that a moderator edited a post and left it all jacked up, there was a response to something I said that was posted before I even made the comment...I mean wtf? Secondly, when someone makes a comment, asks a question, starts a new thread or responds to a thread, post or whatever, that person is looking for a helpful answer, a helpful tip, a helpful response in general, not a smartass answer, not to feel humiliated for posting or anything like that. There are some really good mentors here and there are some smartasses here, which is to be expected from a site with as many members as ILL has. When a moderator sees that person(A) is just being a smartass, I feel like they should make it clear that their response wasn't cool rather than laughing with person(A) about it or brushing it off because they are cool. That is foul, just because person(A) isn't breaking any rules doesn't mean that his/her response was acceptable either. We all are pretty much smart enough to know the difference between breaking the rules and riding on the edge. If the community that we have right now is to grow, we need to open doors for the newcomers, for the members that have been here but not a part of a certain "click", those that are loyal and dedicated to the ILL community IMO. We need moderators that set an example of Fades vision, not posting or saying a bunch of stupid ish or being a comedian. That goes for the members also, anytime a community grows, it grows in every aspect (i.e. out of every 10 members, you have 3 that contribute and are positive, 3 that are just passing through, 3 smartasses, and 1 that truely doesn't have a clue) and its not hard to sort them out and deal with them accordingly. Enough of the "teaching the world - your way is the only way" attitude.

As far as the ILL AWARDS, maybe next year, break it into 2 categories "those that are the core of ILL" because they are the present ILL community and "those that are here regularly but not kissing somebody elses ass" because they are the ones that truely BUILD the community.

One other thing, why are we putting a standard on being "IN"? Everyone has to start somewhere, are we saying that ILL is solely for professional music production artist? Or beginers aren't welcome here at ILL? We must watch the message that we are displaying. That pretty much sums the whole thing up.

I'm not trying to tell anybody how to do their job, im on the outside looking in and this is ALL my opinion. Fade has the ultimate control over what happens and his moderators should respond the exact same way that Fade would.

MAN ON FIRE

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
And Noble you bring that home, however it aint hard to get "In" if thats what it is if you have the will to..
Just make good music and folk respond..Granted I be Nieve on shit so ...sayin..

Its not really me wanting to be in the group, I'm quite happy with the role I play here. I like to sit back and read threads, help people when I can.

But I could see how it would be some what intimidating for new members.

NW

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Hey the reason that I named the thread "Dac -vs- the world" was inspired by a friend primarily, I also knew that I would be pretty much alone on this one. With tensions being a little above average with the recent bannings (which I think was justifiably so), I feel some are still somewhat gun shy. Anyway, I appreciate NobleWordz stepping up to the plate and saying his piece (props). This is yet another subject that most don't want to touch and thats cool too. I consider ILL as an internet home, I also am active at another site but it's a internet record label, unlike ILL. It's not out of anger that I'm speaking, it's out of luv and concern for my little space here at ILLMUZIK. Peace.

MAN ON FIRE

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Its not really me wanting to be in the group, I'm quite happy with the role I play here. I like to sit back and read threads, help people when I can.

NW

Too late your "In".. lol

Scholar

willing vic to the music
ill o.g.
Yeah I feel what you are saying Dac. I had to hit up fade to see if my PM's was working because i couldnt get a response from some cats i PM'd. Granted i dont post much, and i been here since 2001-2002, somewhere in there. just changed up my name. It can get a lil "clicked up" in here i will agree, but its no bother to me. This place used to be super tight nit, When Copen, and Vita was around, just some cats live close to eachother, or like eachothers style better. I will say this,that the Ill awards need alil tweeking, How i dont really know, but im sure we can all come up with some ideas. Then again i guess we are here to build our own community.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Yeah Scholar thats whats up. I too don't see anything wrong with having your own support crew, kinda like a womans gurdle, sometimes you just need that extra lift on things...moving on. I guess remembering the old days when Cope and Vita were here had an impact on my opinion too. You said it best..."This place used to be super tight nit". It wasn't as if you couldn't have fun but at the same time, the tolerance for BS was kept in check. Everything changes, change is usually good but only if the bar is raised. Anyway, I'm starting to get that feeling like I'm beating on a dead horse so this is it for me and this post. It is what it is, and the bottom line is it's all up to us to accept it or move on. I've opted to do both and now it's time for a little self reflection (checking the man in the mirror).

One, to all my ILL family
GENESIS 1:3 - 5

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
, I'm quite happy with the role I play here. I like to sit back and read threads, help people when I can.

NW

same hea Noble

richwny15

ill o.g.
I feel wut dac is saying. I think it very much applys 2 me. i very new in this community n sometimes i feel like my answers wont b taken into consideration because of my low post. But im planning to contribute alot just as ill has contributed 4 me.

members online