Interviews Daw Jones Interview

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
155708_171060869594117_100000706144466_415090_6357419_n-300x300.jpg

Old fashion hard work is the only way Daw Jones "aka" Sunni Boi D knows how to get the ball rolling. Born & raised in Anderson, South Carolina, Daw's lyrical ability & the essence of his voice set him aside from other southern rappers.

Daw has been compared to Andre 3000, Lupe, and Bobby Ray. His music gives you an insight to his life and how he went from substance addiction to rocking stages. Daw Jones "aka" Sunni Boi D has had to go hard ten toes down to gain respect for his career.

Performing all over the southeastern states, from Charlotte North Carolina to Orlando Florida, Daw Jones has held the #1 spot for hip hop in the state of South Carolina for a year straight on "Reverbnation" also doing drops for local radio-station 98.1 Jamz. His music truly brings a breath of fresh air to the game.

Can you introduce yourself?

Daw Jones "aka" Sunni Boi D "aka" Thomas Crown "aka" Diamond Jones "aka" John Diam "aka" Caro Jones "aka" Donnie Wellz "aka" Daw Dangerous "aka Da Haley C "aka" Da Haley's Comet, DA KID WITH A MILLION NAMES.

Where in SC are you located?

Anderson, South Carolina - hometown of Jim Ed Rice, Larry Nance, and Shawn Ellis.

When did you start emceeing?

I have been doing this emcee thing for probably like 3 years now, but I always wrote rhymes since I was at the age of 12.

Please describe your style.

I would say my style is different; I try to keep it simple, old school, non-fiction lyrics. Plus I like to play with rhyme phrases, some artists just rhyme the last word. Me, I try to make every word rhyme, or a whole rhyme phrase rhyme, sometime it don't rhyme. Honestly I can't describe my style, but I do know the creativity has been taken away in today's "Hip-Hop".

I find your music many times to be mellow and sometimes ethereal, who does your music?

Two local producers from around my way I work with - Correseptic and Big Al Production, and I lease and download a lot of tracks from Ear2DaBeat. All around production, I look for tracks with a melodic tone to it, something simple to keep it mellow, and da ethereal, when you put life to music that's what you get.

Who are your main influences?

Rakim, Andre 3000, Phife from A Tribe Called Qwest, MJG, Jay-Z, Nas, Jada Kiss, Kurupt. "Back to da 4th question" I would say my influences is my style.

What do you like to do when you're not recording?

If I'm not recording, I'm writing music. I live it, breath it, sleep it. No doubt but I do Facebook, Twitter, and get my Call Of Duty Black Ops on. Game tag is Sunni Boi D.

Anyone you'd like to collaborate with?

Lupe Fiasco.

What do you think about the current state of Hip Hop?

Watered down, too trendy, no creativity, a lot of screaming, in the state of extinction. I'm trying to save hip hop by putting out music that will give you that hip hop feeling.

Will you be touring in the future?

Hopefully, but I usually do a show once or twice a month. Right now I'm trying to build a street team, get some people behind me to help get the music out.

Any Shout outs?

Wes Inches, Geechi Black, Correseptic, Big Al, Miss Divine, Ear2DaBeat, All Around Production, IllMuzik Radio, so many to name.

Thanks for doing this interview, we love playing your music on IllMuzik Radio. Keep us updated!

members online