dc offset removal

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
i just heard about how important dc offset removal is.
these low frequencies are hardly to be recognised by the ear, but very hard to be reproduced by audio software and -hardware devices. so they eat up any playback devices' capacity and make your mix sound weak and fray out when turning up the volume.

so make sure to use dc offset removal or simply cut out everything below 30 hz.
good engeneers say to use as many dc offset removals as you have tracks in your project-at least...

ill o.g.
DC offset is not a 'low frequency'. Its an offset of your signal from zero. (The line down the middle horizontally of all samples, which is zero). Yes, you can reduce it with a one pole high pass filter, this does not mean they are low frequency (Its a straight line not a wave). You also wont hear DC offset (with the exception of maybe a loud click at the start or end of a sample). It will only cause your headroom to get eaten up sooner than it should be if you layer it with other things.

The highpass filter thing is pretty unnecesary , because most sample editors have a feature to remove dc offset. Using a high pass filter would make sense in an environment where you dont have a sample editor or sampler (for example a large modular synth).

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
i have this info from a book for aspiring engeneers and home producers. a friend of mine gave it to me and said he had worked by it for the last few months. the dc offset removal proved to be the most sound improving topic to him, he says he achieves higher volumes in perception without increasing the volume.
and i must confirm, his joints realy gained punch and loudness.

as we know different people have always very different oppinions about certain topics, and there is hardly a profession where this is more true than in sound engeneering. id suggest to just give it a try.

for real? so your saying, i shold just put a 30hz filter on the main track?

yes, make it a standard to cut off below 30hz, theres nothing else than capacity consuming rumble down there. if you feel it takes sound from your mix, you can still lower that filter to 25hz or whatever. but its unlikely to happen in most tracks

DC offset is not a 'low frequency'. Its an offset of your signal from zero.
yea sorry, i mixed this up, theres the offset for one instance and rumbling low frequencies. but both are very important issues to deal with when it comes to create a good sounding mix.

ill o.g.
i have this info from a book for aspiring engeneers and home producers. a friend of mine gave it to me and said he had worked by it for the last few months. the dc offset removal proved to be the most sound improving topic to him, he says he achieves higher volumes in perception without increasing the volume.
and i must confirm, his joints realy gained punch and loudness.

as we know different people have always very different oppinions about certain topics, and there is hardly a profession where this is more true than in sound engeneering. id suggest to just give it a try.

Hehe word i know i know. I wasnt discrediting you. I said pretty much the same exact thing (read carefully what i said about headroom). I also wasnt giving my opinion about DC offset, i was merely pointing out the facts about what it is more precisely. If you search the forum on this topic you will come across a post of mine about this very same shit, in fact i think it was my first post on ill ever ;].

Edit: Link to oldschool post
https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5847

Good post man and again, i was only trying to support your post with some more details and info on the subject.

The rumbling low frequencies you are talking about can indeed also come from a slowly changing dc offset. In this case the best thing would indeed be to throw it through a one pole highpass filter rather than using a dc offset fixer in a sample editor (these assume the dc offset is constantly the same throughout the signal and offset the entire sample by the detected amount).

It actually happens to be somethign I am always confronted with in my workflow, since my sampler tends to record things with a dc offset. Pretty much the first thing I do after sampling before tweaking it further is fixing the dc offset (if possible).

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
ehrm...aight:) well than sorry again, i get your point

It actually happens to be somethign I am always confronted with in my workflow, since my sampler tends to record things with a dc offset. Pretty much the first thing I do after sampling before tweaking it further is fixing the dc offset (if possible).

...so this would undermine the need to fix dc offset on every single track of a project, since you cant be sure whether your samples, drums etc were recorded without, right?!

ill have a look at your older post later on

members online