Dead Prez: greatest duo of all time?

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
i just got RBG (after being blown away by Lets Get Free) and dam man these are possibly the most talented dudes in hip hop. Stic's beats are so deep and effective, and M1's flow is in the top 10 of all time.

it isnt easy to listen to them at first if your are not black coz some of the shit they say is shockin at first: but then you realise how right they are.

they are so focused on what they are doing... u gotta give it to em, fighting police all the time and basically sayin fuck everyone who gets in their way.

on top of that they spit some of the realest shit i ever heard. long live stic and M1.

sAfE.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
Rhythmikal said:
it isnt easy to listen to them at first if your are not black coz some of the shit they say is shockin at first: but then you realise how right they are.

Aint got nothing to do with being black, got to do with being open to music, color will never define how one listens, but i would agree with you that minorties will feel what they got to say no matter what color the skin, on the other hand most minorties are ussualy hooked on fifty rather then some militant soldiers of truth sortasay...

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
I saw them live, they were ILL.

Funniest part was, the crowd was 85% white. It doesn't matter, nah mean!

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
lol no their not the greatest duo of all time at all but they are pretty good some of their views are a bit extreme and some are just as racist as what they are trying to stop but on the whole thier message is good !

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
i wudnt say there the greatest ever but there one of the best duos

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
two albums do not make a goat argument, imho.

outkast and mobb deep are, in my opinion, the greatest duos.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Hm, well Gang Starr's still around, M.O.P, uhhhh, EPMD was around for quite a while, Pete Rock and CL... but ya everyone has their time in the light..

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Rhythmikal said:
i
sAfE.

I feel u on this, i cant see a white person feeling some of their lyrics the way i do(not tryin to start a debate, just stating my opionion) They are one of the few cats that are speakin real ish that is relivant to the african american communitity. As most of yall know my moms is an ex-black panther and she LOVES dead prez , she says it reminders her of the old days lol

As far as being the GOAT duo, that is debatable, i mean dont get me wrong they are dope, but they just havent put out a bulk of material that they can be judged on. BUt i still think they are up their becasue there arent to many duo's putting it down these days. Everyone wants to go solo.

But yall already know outkast gots the GOAT duo crown on lock( and arguabley andre 3000 has the goat crown for a single MC) They have outlasted most of the other cats(almost 12 years in) and every single one of their albums is a classic in its own right'

I think mobb deep runs second(i love those cats)

my 2 cents

class......

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
mobb and kast both have had MUCH longer runs-succesfully, i might add- then any of the groups you have mentioned, pug

and the gang star/pete rock and cl groups are each basically a rapper and producer combo, i didnt really consider them in the same category, and to be honest guru is probably THE most overated mc EVER in my book.........with CL pretty high a top the list but far better then guru, i must say.

thing to me is, greatness means DOING something, altering the landscape, innovating and adapting to the times while remaining relevant in hip hop...

kast and mobb deep have both garned critical AND commercial success, and kast has broke new ground in terms of their sound with EVERY LAST album, and both (for the most part) have achieved the oh-so-delicate balance of commercial succes while keeing "real" heads equally entertaine... something that is VERY hard to do.

can gang starr, pete and CL, mop, or epmd lay claim to all of the above over an 11 year span the way outkast has? the way mobb has?

just my observations, anyhow.

consistancy over a period of time is KEY to greatness in my book, and dead prez just dont have the numbers to measure up to the quality OF the quantity of kast or mobb.

2_nice

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
show and ag got tha flavas yo..... and what about blackstar (spose thats three but eh even a producer/dj forgets the producer/dj lol) then you have slick rick and doug e. fresh and the thing that kool keith and motion man do is cool too.... Dead Prez are def. dope and they have some new shit that is well original and they have that crazy 7 or 8 minute film clip. that shit rocks

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Cold Truth said:
mobb and kast both have had MUCH longer runs-succesfully, i might add- then any of the groups you have mentioned, pug

and the gang star/pete rock and cl groups are each basically a rapper and producer combo, i didnt really consider them in the same category, and to be honest guru is probably THE most overated mc EVER in my book.........with CL pretty high a top the list but far better then guru, i must say.

thing to me is, greatness means DOING something, altering the landscape, innovating and adapting to the times while remaining relevant in hip hop...

kast and mobb deep have both garned critical AND commercial success, and kast has broke new ground in terms of their sound with EVERY LAST album, and both (for the most part) have achieved the oh-so-delicate balance of commercial succes while keeing "real" heads equally entertaine... something that is VERY hard to do.

can gang starr, pete and CL, mop, or epmd lay claim to all of the above over an 11 year span the way outkast has? the way mobb has?

just my observations, anyhow.

consistancy over a period of time is KEY to greatness in my book, and dead prez just dont have the numbers to measure up to the quality OF the quantity of kast or mobb.

I was just adding to the list of possible candidates, I wasn't trying to argue.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
lol, i didnt really see it as an argument, pug!

i was just statin my personal case for the groups i mentioned.

actually, dead prez dont even break top 5 to me.

DJ Excellence

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 229
taking into consideration: skills, longevity and consistency:

-Gangstaar: they started in 89! and are still relevant today, Guru may not be the best emcee ever, but he's got a dope voice. nuff said about Preemo
-Mobb Deep: They have such a great chemistry, I think Havoc is very underated as a producer.
-MOP: I don't remember any lackluster effort from them. Their style is very original, ....

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
hahaha, that's cool man. I agree though, Outkast and Mobb have been around for a long time, and seem to always pull in more fans after every album. Personally i dont listen to either anymore, but i can respect them for what they've accomplished.

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
hehehe mobb deep sucks live yo,,, dead prez is dope live but they aint the best duo though...

members online