***Dealing Wit Big Time Labels***

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
This label just holla'd at me about some tracks 'n im bout to do a meeting wit them in like a month. To all the experienced producers in the biz....what do i do to get prepared for this shit, cuz i neva fucked wit anybody on this level before cuz i aint tryin to get fucked.

my boy was considerin' hiring a really good lawyer and make sure my contracts are extra tight. Also gettin' my publishing on point. any other pointers yall kats can give me so i can cover my ass as much as possible?

thanks

C

Copenhagen

If the label is big, they have their standard contracts that you can just adjust. Bringing a lawyer will be good, because some will not give you time to go back and talk to your lawyer to make you sign their contract as is, which is more to their advantage.
They will probably give you an offer in regards to points etc, so just prepare yourself for what you expect etc.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Ok here are my tips...never hollering at a major for some work but having worked with some small labels here's my advice......but you should attend the conference up in NY this weekend....www.dynamicproducer.com it's gonna go over this subject in GREAT DETAIL man ....REAL LABEL contracts etc with the people at the labels.........but it sounds like you are raring to sign paperwork and sell some tracks.... do you want to check them out first and get back to them or is this the meeting where they told you are gonna sign to a production deal? publishing is something I would try and get the full rights to....I would not try to give them too much on that end.....you are smart to bring (AN entertainment or contract lawyer) not the guy who does divorces etc...LOL

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Im not sure if ima get the lawyer on time.

Right now im fuckin' wit ASCAP tryin' to get my publishing straight.

My next question is with ASCAP. On the form it says that in order for me to get a membership i would have done shows n' actually put out official shit before...i did neither

can somebody thats actually a ASCAP member or sumthin' drop some info on this shit please..

thanks

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
F*** ASCAP, affiliate w/ BMI...they both do the same thing essentially, but BMI has no limitations....

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
i think i might still fuck wit ASCAP tho. I got peoples that work there. So HOPEFULLY they'll make sure i dont get fucked off my publishing. Ima do research on BMI n' see what they talkin bout.

But with either ASCAP or BMI. If im a producer what form do i fill out? the writer or publisher form? i cant seem to tell the difference. Im not a writer, but if i die i do want my family to still collect spins. I dont see where this applys if i use the publisher form.

Ima have to start cuttin' checks to the government?!, fuck dat!

yo

ima need a step by step walk through of how to get a EIN number, n' get my publishing straight cuz im runnin' outta time.

Where's "God" when u need him.

C

Copenhagen

Publisher form means that can handle your own as well as other's publishing, and in Denmark, this is a more expensive choice (usually costs 5 times the writer sign-up).
Writer means writer/composer. In this case, you are the composer. I would go with that form.

Honesty

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
for BMI, it's a writer/composer form...that free...just sign the contract and mail it in. For publishing, there's a fee, I think like $150, I'm not sure. But it's not ASCAP or BMI that screw you for your publishing, it's the label that signs you or your lawyer or your manager than can screw you for your publishing. BMI and ASCAP are virtually identical, same rates...etc. as I said, the only difference is ASCAP has that requirement of already being published to affiliate.

members online