Did I mention I hate windows?

booya_nang

A breath of fre$h air!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 76
I've always been a PC head and therefore have dealt with my own virus issues from time to time lol I just can't bring myself to make the switch

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
funny thing about all this win32/64 hate...

OSX has rootkits in the wild. Chances are one of your machines has already been rooted and you know nothing about it. Your machine is likely a part of a large botnet and is sending out spam or DDoS attacks as you read this.

By and large, most Mac users wouldn't know if their machine was compromised.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ya I doubt that.

don't.

If there's one thing you should be aware of, it's that pretty much every Unix or unix-like OS has rootkits out there. Since OSX DOES utilize a number of true unix apps and whatnot under the surface, you had better believe that those vulnerabilities, when found, can affect OSX.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
93% chance that he does lol. Silly pc mortals

i couldnt care less about my windows sytsem's viruses. it's like cancer cells, everybody has some, but not everybody dies of cancer. i'd still always prefer a windows system, and spend the money saved on records and sneakers. mac is for wussies...lol, lets make this a mac vs windows fight

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Maaan, just got a virus this weekend. Someone knows about the "Antivirus Plus" virus...

Yeah, it's a virus that tells you that you are infected with a virus and that if you want to get rid of it, you need to download the full version of "Antivirus Plus"... Anoying as fuck! Now, I can't even start my windows... It's logging on and off on a loop. Real fun!

Tr3ydeeze

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i couldnt care less about my windows sytsem's viruses. it's like cancer cells, everybody has some, but not everybody dies of cancer. i'd still always prefer a windows system, and spend the money saved on records and sneakers. mac is for wussies...lol, lets make this a mac vs windows fight

Mono I see you couldn't even make that statement with a straight face. It doesn't have to be a mac VS pc fight. Macs will always win. Check out reviews for A PC with comparible specs as a Mac machine. Benchmarks are exceeded in every reguard for system performance. Also in terms of actuall hardware and how its hardwired to the motherboard Macs again win hands down. Not to mention quality of parts used in let's say a dell or hp box vs the quality of parts in a Mac one. Don't get me wrong pcs are great. Window OS's are uhhh manageable. Macs are better machines that are more expensive but in todays world you get what u pay for. I rather buy a Mac today and use it for 6 years and it still performs like the day I got it than getting a PC and a 23mins after I boot up its already getting slower lol. And yes sir you are right PCs are full of cancer cells and they are usually malignant lol. Macs are almost like immortal lol. Peace

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
Mono I see you couldn't even make that statement with a straight face. It doesn't have to be a mac VS pc fight. Macs will always win. Check out reviews for A PC with comparible specs as a Mac machine. Benchmarks are exceeded in every reguard for system performance. Also in terms of actuall hardware and how its hardwired to the motherboard Macs again win hands down. Not to mention quality of parts used in let's say a dell or hp box vs the quality of parts in a Mac one. Don't get me wrong pcs are great. Window OS's are uhhh manageable. Macs are better machines that are more expensive but in todays world you get what u pay for. I rather buy a Mac today and use it for 6 years and it still performs like the day I got it than getting a PC and a 23mins after I boot up its already getting slower lol. And yes sir you are right PCs are full of cancer cells and they are usually malignant lol. Macs are almost like immortal lol. Peace

your wrong about comparable performance for similar builds, hell check gearslutz, they have a shitload of benchmark stats and experts just on that alone.

the hardware quality specs vs dell/others or custom built pc is also wrong. name the mobo the various macs use, the hdd, vid cards, etc. now name the mobos, hdd, vid cards, etc of the dells/hps/etc never mind those that actually do their own builds or daw builders

whatever. i can't be bothered getting into this especially when this thread isn't about this ridiculous mac vs pc (with all the bs, misinformation and fantasy that goes with it). here's a long thread that also happens to contain actual info among the jokes, clueless fanboism, and myths http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/450318-ultimate-mac-vs-pc-slam-death-fest.html

anyways, dream, what did you do the get your virus?

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
to any of you who believe Apple's propoganda that Macs are virus proof, I would like to have you look at these:

http://www.securemac.com/applescript-tht-trojan-horse.php

There's an OSX trojan.

http://www.osnews.com/story/20827/New_Mac_OS_X_Trojan_Found_in_Pirated_iWork_09

... and another one...

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/041709-first-mac-os-x-botnet.html

... and a botnet that utilizes only Macs...

http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/12/03/rspluge.trojan.manifests/

... and a trojan that has several variants...

Your Macs are not immortal.

And... have a look at this:

It's actually pretty easy to compare a Mac and a PC side-by-side, even against a custom built machine.

Apple doesn't manufacture their own motherboards. They're made by FoxConn, a Taiwanese company. They're of no better quality than the stuff that FoxConn OEM's for any PC brands.

Apple's video cards are likely also made by the same OEM using Nvidia's reference design (just like most other video card manufacturers).

Knowing this, I'll spec out a Mac Pro on Apple's site, then custom build a PC using BETTER parts with pricing from Newegg and we'll see which one comes out cheaper.

One note about the video card: The Nvidia card that Apple offers it's Mac Pro users is based on the "Geforce GT 120". Further investigation revealed that the GT120 is nothing more than a Geforce 9500GT rebranded for OEM applications (like Apple's cards).

Aiight... Let's look at a Mac Pro, shall we???

Price: $3,149.00

Specifications
One 2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon` (Mind you, Apple refuses to let us know which version of the processor they use! There's three versions of this processor)
8GB (4x2GB)
640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
One 18x SuperDrive
Apple Mouse
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) and User's Guide

now... Let's look at what I was able to put together over at Newegg, shall we?

Price: $2,562.89

Qty. Product Description Savings Total Price
PLEXTOR 22X DVD/CD Writer Black IDE Model PX-870A LightScribe Support - Retail
Item #: N82E16827249052
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$44.99
GIGABYTE GZ-FA2CA-AJB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
Item #: N82E16811233026
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$20.00 Instant

$159.99
$139.99
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Item #: N82E16822136319
$74.99
ASUS ENGTS250 DK/DI/1G GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814121333
Return Policy: VGA Replacement Only Return Policy $25.00 Mail-in Rebate Card

$149.99
IOGEAR GKM512 Black USB Standard Spill-Resistant Desktop Keyboard and Mouse - Retail
Item #: N82E16823176012
$29.99
Antec 77064 Thermal Grease - Retail
Item #: N82E16835129002
$2.99
Kingston HyperX 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KHX1333C7D3K4/8GX - Retail
Item #: N82E16820104163
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$239.99
Intel BOXDX58SO LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813121361
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
$249.99
Dynatron G666 60mm Double Ball Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail
Item #: N82E16835114086
$34.99
Intel Xeon X5570 Nehalem 2.93GHz LGA 1366 95W Quad-Core Server Processor Model BX80602X5570 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819117180
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
$1,439.99

XIGMATEK MC NRP-MC851 850W ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V Ver. 2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC ... - Retail
Item #: N82E16817815003
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy -$35.00 Instant
$20.00 Mail-in Rebate $189.99
$154.99

Buy a Mac - $3,149.00
Build a PC - $2,562.89

Price difference - $586.11

Now... A couple of notes here:

- Intel motherboards are made by FoxConn. The SAME OEM that makes them for Apple.
- The video card that Apple supplies with their Mac Pro machines are a generation behind. The GT100 series is only available to OEM's and is nothing more than a Geforce 9 class GPU rebranded.
- Because Apple refuses to name the series for their processors, the one used in the Mac Pro could actually be a level or two below the Gainestown-series Xeon Quad Core I have listed.
- I didn't include an operating system for this machine 'cause it's up to the individual to pick between XP-64 bit, Vista64, or Win7-64, though I could have easily done it. Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit can be had from Newegg for only $179.

One could also drop in an even faster processor and STILL be cheaper than a Mac

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Compare apple prices to dell prices, they are almost the same that is a more fair comparison. Also I don't mind paying a little more for a MUCH better experience on OSX. And every man made computer will have issues, bugs etc but even you have to admit that OSX is a much more secure platform and one that was tailor made for us creative types.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Compare apple prices to dell prices, they are almost the same that is a more fair comparison. Also I don't mind paying a little more for a MUCH better experience on OSX. And every man made computer will have issues, bugs etc but even you have to admit that OSX is a much more secure platform and one that was tailor made for us creative types.

No, I don't have to admit that it's more secure because, to me, it just isn't. I don't feel good about an OS that purposely hides it's internals from me. Windows exposes far more of itself to me than OSX does on the surface, and Linux goes even further than that. The typical OSX user that has a compromised machine wouldn't even know it (remember, there's a whole OSX botnet out there, and by now many more), leading you to believe you're "safe and sound".

And.... You're going to pay more money to "experience" OSX, which costs $30 to buy by itself??? You might as well take the machine I spec'd out and install OSX on it and make a Hackintosh out of it! Why spend hundreds more for something when you don't have to???

https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showpost.php?p=208096&postcount=17

I did the whole Apple/Dell thing a few years back. I could do it again, but why??? It's fair to compare a Mac to a custom built PC because that option is available to every PC user out there. We can build something more powerful for less money.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
"No, I don't have to admit that it's more secure because, to me, it just isn't"

I am sorry my friend but the facts are not on your side, and you CAN drop in to command line and see every thing OSX is doing just like Linux. Windows does not handle user accounts or permissions in a safe way at all, let alone things like active x and the registry.

OSX actually costs $130 by itself it is just 10.6 that it $30 also I think you missed the thread but I scanned all my macs in my home for rootkit and they are all good. I have scanned 10 other machines of my friends and they are all safe. I am sorry but there is simply NOT bugs running around in the wild like there are for windows.