Did many of you used to buy the magazine Scratch?

DJ Redrum

Playin' For Keeps
ill o.g.
I just thought i would see how many of you used to buy the magazine Scratch when it was in production before it stopped late last year. As i have recently imported all of the issues with it never being released out here in the UK.

If so what did you think of it, any good? Did you happen to learn much from it?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I checked it out a few times and it was really good, although they fell the fuck off once they went more towards a "hiphop" mag rather than strictly production. I understand that they wanted to expand, however their core readers were looking for production and just a tiny slice of the hiphop world, not vice versa.

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 214
I checked it out a few times and it was really good, although they fell the fuck off once they went more towards a "hiphop" mag rather than strictly production. I understand that they wanted to expand, however their core readers were looking for production and just a tiny slice of the hiphop world, not vice versa.
I really dont get it though...the mag catered to all beatmakers out there at first then they just started being another XXL. They could have stuck to the scrip and still profited. I mean all these cats with Reason and FL trying to elevate, cmon man I was copping that faithfully every month damn near even when they started sellin out, I still picked it up to sqeeze out what little helpful production info I could useful to me. I just did'nt get it. It was shining light on alot of up and coming producers in the game...hell, eventually probably one of us would've ended up with a nice article about some heat we've produced...at first the magazine was actually making rounds like that...real talk.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i got 2 issues of most of them... 3 issues of the 1st... i was addicted... and bein that it wasnt monthly, i would find myself without it at the train station and cop it again... one of the newstands would have a box of all his old mags from the last few months for sell for half price and Scratch would be in there sometimes... im glad u chumps dont live out here, the damn box wouldve been empty...lol

da relic

T

TheMost

Thats exacly why i stopped buying it.

I woud say this happened around last november

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
yea i bought ever magazine mad i lost the first issue tho wit dre on the cover. but i did get bored of it cause it was starting to turn into another source or xxl.

ForestGlenn

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i enjoyed the magazine, it was nice to have a mag about hip hop production, but i started disliking it when xxl bought it or whatever , i still have like 8 issues or something

Sonorous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I had a subscription to that magazine. It was good until XXL got involved with them, and they starting have rapper on the cover. That when it stop being about the production and it was like reading the source.

djloccdown

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
So many people complained about that XXL shit lol.
Every month they were answering angry letters from producers.