digital in and out question

T

The Bastard

sup all i got a question for u digi cats. i have a mpc 1k and im buyin a soundcard with spdif digital in, can i record AUDIO if i go out of my mpc spdif out to my soundcards spdif in .or is spdif strickly for sendin data like midi or sum other type of syncing signal

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
yah man, i was wondering the exact same thing...

someone help me and this BASTARD! hah

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
digital (spdif optical or coxal) sends audio data in digital form.

A comparesion in qualtity is simlar to VHS vs DVD

It does NOT send midi data it has nothing to do with it
Think of it as modem vs ethernet

Becasue the signal is already digtial u get the purist cleanist sound with absoulty no Distoritian or interfernce. ALso when your dealing with digtial eqiment,computers,modules MPC's etc that have a digtial connection. You dont have to convert the signal to anologe
to record it which gives your the purist sound possible

for example..........
I have a digtal spdif optical connection directly from my motif sound module to my firwire 410. This cuts out the need for a mixer(which deals with analoge sound source) and gives me direct digtial connection from my motif to my computer. This allows for the purist signal

IT also means you dont have to worry about the signal degrating, which mean you can have long ass cables and dont have to worry about the signal getting weak becasue the infromation is digtial.

I have my computer hooked up to my entiertaiment system via Digtial (optical spdif connection).

Remember, sound starts off analouge so the qualtity of sound is only gonna be as good as your source and analoge to digtial converter.

Im tired i will explain more tommorrow
Format take it from here

class...

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
word up... do i need special cables to carry the spdif signal from my MPCs digital outs to my ECHO Gina 24/96 spdif in's?

could you recommend some?

this is awesome, i always wondered what I could hook up to those spdif ins

T

The Bastard

word light speed is mad fast. id like to hear what it sounds like , does optical and coaxial cables produce diffrent sounds ,like would u be able to tell

nas2000xl

The Ripper
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i don`t think you can tell the difference between the 2 as far as sound. one looks like an (rca-jack) like the jacks on a turntable, the other looks like a wire with 2 square heads on each end where as if you plug one end into your digi input then looked at the other end you would see a red light that will let you know that the cable is active. (they call this Light Pipe) now both are considered to be consumer standard because these type of digi hook ups are found on most consumer products. you can buy the cables at any radio shack. not only that, the pros wouldn`t consider using this method for recording. they use (aes-ebu) digi connections. however they will most likely use the consumer method for transferring music from 1 dat to another for example. like (classic) said there is no degredation in sound at all. what ever it sounds like on the initial machine, it will sound the same on the end machine. however i will not tell you not to use it for whatever reason you might want to use it for. if it sounds good to you, then go for it.

oh yea, since the gina24 carries both spdif coax and spdif optical you can only figure out which cable you will need by checking the digi connections on the equipment that you are going to be hooking it up to.

members online