Distribution deal

Id say start locally. The sponsor will expect a return on investment, so you have to be appealing, professional, and seem like a good investment. Like you would when seeking investors in any venture.
Failing that, there is the reverbnation type iTunes deal, which costs around $50 for a cd release.
You could also try phoning distributors yourself, you never know you might get a result, and even if you dont, you can get a good idea of pricing and know exactly how much money you need from a sponsor.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Anyone have any tips or advice on how to go about getting someone/company to sponsor an artist to release a CD?
I have a lot of experience in this area both in years of grant and business proposal writing and setting up sponsorship proposals for indie media outlets etc. I'm not going to type an essay but here are 3 quick tips.

1.) Put your plan in writing. People who grant money need to see your ideas in writing. They often have to come to a group decision or someone else helps them manage the money.

2.) Fake it till you Make it. - Nobody wants to eat in an empty restaurant. Very few companies want to be the 1st sponsor especially if you are unproven (there are exceptions to this rule). Add company logos of your peers and/or companies you support (w/ their permission) FREE of charge for the first go-around.

3.) Learn the art of the follow-up or fail - Keep in mind that sponsorship is a form of sales. When it comes to sales you have to understand that the words "No" does not "I will not support this idea forever". In some cases it means "Now is not the right time". Following up down the line especially if you're building your brand and strengthening your presence in your target markets/local scene will turn those "No" responses into "Yes".

I'm actually 3/4 through with an e-book where I'm teaching Artists and Media outlets how to effectively raise money through sites like Kickstarter.com through the concept of Crowdfunding. There's a really good example of an artist named Amanda Palmer who raised half a million bucks through her fanbase in a very short time to fund an album, a tour, and a book all through the fans.

If you want to get the alert when the e-book is ready, add your email to the mailing list - http://mrshadeed.com/newsletter

Hope that helps. If you have more questions, post em up. (This turned out being an essay lol)