Distribution Deals?

J-malice

PRODUCER ALMIGHTY!!
ill o.g.
when you do a deal with a distribution company, is your music only goin to the places they have connections with, or can you still go up to retailers personally and try to get your music in their stores...also can you try to get certain stores names added to the distribution companiy's "customer list"?

my bad fo startin all these threads, jus gettin ready for real business so im tryin to clear up a couple questions i got bear wit me.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Ok look distribution companies are very good for indies, some will even pay for a certain amount of copies of your material.....UP FRONT.....and then sell it....now some companies here locally like LIason Records will need to preview your material and also might want some statistics on how well you have actually done independently distributing ya stuff, so really they want something that will move quickly and they can get a profit.....they might sign an agreement with you for say 10,000 copies for like $50,000 -0just a theoretical number....then they of course go to a their retail distributors of course and mark it up......and make a profit....this is not a bad deal because you aren't signing with a record label in the traditional sense, but you are pushing your material the only risk is if you don't move the units there might be some contract terms that might have you paying for some of your stuff but its a good way to get stuff to retailers and reach a wider audience........however you still might need a lawyer to review the deal......so to be honest you can continue to sell as many of your units outside of the contract unless it is stated specifically that you cannot....which I would not have anything like that included in any contract.......

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
In addition to what bigD said...(on a more street level of distribution)

I'm not sure of the retailers that you wish to distribute your material but in my experiences, you will have much better luck on privately owned businesses vs. chain stores. Most chain stores will have corporate policies that forbid them to buy or sell anything that isn't provided by the company itself ( like wal-mart, everything must come from their distribution centers per say) but "Joes Corner Store" would probally welcome your business with opened arms especially if you live in the area and everyone knows of your talent. Around my way, Barber Shops, Car Washes, Laundry Mats and Flea Markets are the best places to move some of your music.

Another Tip: If you visit a certain Corp. Record Store frequently, you may find a salesperson that will be down to help you move some stuff if you break them off a piece. Ofcourse they would have to do it on the low but alot cats go to them looking for orignal talent. I have a cat that moves about 50 mixed CD's per week for me. Another good mover is all the local DJ's. I've found that alot of them are more on the shady side as far as paying you because most of them make CD's too but if you can get some "airplay at the club" then its worth it to give them about 10 CD's to sell but I wouldn't give them much more than that.

--dac