Dj: Digital Vinyl Systems (DVS) Review

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Whatup illDJ's,

I have searched the internet for reviews for the many DVS systems there are out there and did not come across much that was truely helpful. So what system do you all use and what are the Pro's and Con's.

For my personal interest I have one turntable that I want to use the system to scratch'up my vocals or beats so beatjuggling is not an issue for me. Therefore, with my limited use of this system I would want the cheapest possible choice with high quality. I have noticed that I can buy the timecoded vynyl records separate so if I found the software and had the timecoded vinyl then would I be good to go? I am using a Firewire 410 interface.

Thanks,
-Chrono T.

djjumpinjoe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I use Torq and I love it ..... Im pretty sure u could not just get some time coded vinyl and a program because i know torq comes with a interface that u hook up ur tables to then run interface through usb to ur computer ......

Ominous

OminousRed.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I have an old school American Audio Digital Turntable. So I can burn CDs and scratch them. The jog wheel is kinda small but the effect sounds great. I will one day upgrade to a Pioneer CDJ.

I did want to get a software set up like Torq.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
I use Torq and I love it ..... Im pretty sure u could not just get some time coded vinyl and a program because i know torq comes with a interface that u hook up ur tables to then run interface through usb to ur computer ......

The second question was about the usb interface. I actually bought Torq, the drivers installed the Connectiv as an audio interface. I already have an Firewire 410 interface so I am concerned that it might cause a problem with using Protools under the 410.. would the Connectiv audio interface prevent me from using it with Protools under my Firewire 410 (at the same time)? I ended up returning Torq because the last copy they had was a previous return and when I came home I realized that it had no documentation and was missing one of the cd-control sleaves.

djjumpinjoe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Im not sure if there would be a conflict .... Thats one thing i could never fig out .... Every time I load my Torq in ProTools it loads up as midi ..... So then I cant use it in ProTools because i cant control the vinyl with Torq ....... When ever i want to do a mix with Torq i cant get it to load the regular way in PT or Acid ..... So I couldnt even do some scratches in a track because I cant control Torq With the vinyl ....

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Im not sure if there would be a conflict .... Thats one thing i could never fig out .... Every time I load my Torq in ProTools it loads up as midi ..... So then I cant use it in ProTools because i cant control the vinyl with Torq ....... When ever i want to do a mix with Torq i cant get it to load the regular way in PT or Acid ..... So I couldnt even do some scratches in a track because I cant control Torq With the vinyl ....

Wow, that might pose a problem for me. So, if you want to add a Torq track into your Protool session then you have to record it (within the Torq software) and then later import the wav of the mix (from Torq) into Protools as an audio file?

djjumpinjoe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Well i never did it all either way .... One day I was just trying to use Torq inside ProTools and it would open up and the Torq program would be set to midi ...... So I just said whatever ...... It wasnt life or death at that moment ..... But it says Torq works with PT so im not sure how to make it work so u can control the vinyl .... So if u fig it out please let me know .... My equipment is set up in my walk in closet for now until i build my new room in the basement so i dont know if i will hook up my tables until then ..... But would be nice to know how to do it so when i wana lay down some scratches or just do up a mix i could in protools ....

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Well i never did it all either way .... One day I was just trying to use Torq inside ProTools and it would open up and the Torq program would be set to midi ...... So I just said whatever ...... It wasnt life or death at that moment ..... But it says Torq works with PT so im not sure how to make it work so u can control the vinyl .... So if u fig it out please let me know .... My equipment is set up in my walk in closet for now until i build my new room in the basement so i dont know if i will hook up my tables until then ..... But would be nice to know how to do it so when i wana lay down some scratches or just do up a mix i could in protools ....

I bought Torq as a spir-of-the-moment purchase while getting a Bass on credit.. After I came home I realized that the Torq Package was missing documentation and since I had a Bass to practice up on I decided to return it. I now am researching the DVS systems and trying to decide if it would be worth it for me to buy one. I imagine I could use it in post-production to scratch my own drums on the melody of the beat as-well as scratch my vocals. Those things are appealing to me but I will have to continue researching how a DVS system will impact my production options and then decide if it would be an investment or mistake.

Although.. if I do buy one I will be using it in Protools and will make sure to post in this forum how I got it to work!

By the way, from a production standpoint (considering I only have one turntable) what are the main options that adding a DVS system into my workflow will create? I understand that scratching my own voice into my jams and scratching my drums into the melody are a few but are there other advantages that I didn't mention?

Thanks for the help,
-Chrono

djjumpinjoe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Im not sure because it really can be for anything u can think of doing with it .... I myself would use it to scratch samples if i could get it to work .... samples I dont have the wax I would have the mp3 file so i could do some tricky stuff with it ..... it all depends on what u can dream of doing with it ..... Like i said b4 i love it its just the one thing of getting it to work with PT ...... Im gonna have to hook it up and work with it and see if i can get it to work in PT ..... Now u got me wanting to fig it out ..... LoL ...... Ill see what i can come up with in the next few days .... Ill have to go out and buy a table quick ...... I will keep in touch on the status of Torq With PT ..........

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Im not sure because it really can be for anything u can think of doing with it .... I myself would use it to scratch samples if i could get it to work .... samples I dont have the wax I would have the mp3 file so i could do some tricky stuff with it ..... it all depends on what u can dream of doing with it ..... Like i said b4 i love it its just the one thing of getting it to work with PT ...... Im gonna have to hook it up and work with it and see if i can get it to work in PT ..... Now u got me wanting to fig it out ..... LoL ...... Ill see what i can come up with in the next few days .... Ill have to go out and buy a table quick ...... I will keep in touch on the status of Torq With PT ..........

I guess my main concern was if only having one table would be a major drawback. I do not have experience using two tables as a DJ would so my understanding is not precise; although from what I understand it will be worth it.. especially with the 600hun extra from the government :)