DJ Premier

Streetwize

Beat Architects !
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 49
this man is the GOAT

im sorry but i just heard that new joint, royce 5'9 - Hip Hop and wtf, how does this guy do it all the time, a sickening ass beat, possibly a bit too much swing on them drums but we can forgive him but jeez, this beat is sickening

then later today i started listening to them joints that he produced for the lox, like recognise and am thinking, wtf, this man is the greatest. hes just amazing

then tonight im listening to some old gangstarr shit and i just heard moment of truth and above the clouds and shit is just so ill

fuck what y'all say, fuck kanye,neptunes,dre,timbo,just blaze, alchemist, whoever else

PREMO IS THE GOAT !!!

he has found a style that he has stuck with, perfected, improved and it has worked nearly every time!

y'all gotta agree with me here

what other premo songs you like listening to???

ill o.g.
"P.A.I.N.E." - Freddie Foxx (aka Bumpy Knuckles)
That ones not that good. It sounded like Bumpy couldn't afford one of Premo's beter beats.

"So Ghetto" - Jay-Z (Vol.III)
That ones ok.

"NAS IS LIKE" - Nas (I am...)
Now theres the Pemo we all know and love. Thats a hot beat. I dont know wut happened to that Premo.

ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
DJ Premier - New York Reality Check 101: superb music with splendid skits in between! i dig all the tracks, one by one!

Group Home - Livin Proof: a perfect album from beginning to end! premier's best beats thus far, mixed with amazing ghetto lyricism.

M

Monacle

Originally posted by helix
"P.A.I.N.E." - Freddie Foxx (aka Bumpy Knuckles)
That ones not that good. It sounded like Bumpy couldn't afford one of Premo's beter beats..

he doesnt "sell" different beats.

hes said in numerous interviews that he writes it on the spot for the artist or for the rhyme in particular.

theres no 'showreel' to pick from. he IS the showreel

jnxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ill put pete rock dres and rza above premo, but they all are debatable goat status

berserk

Monster Music
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Macy Gray Ft. Mos Def - I've Commited Murder (Remix)

It's not like the beat is real special... It just gives the exact right feeling of the rapping and singing... It's perfect... Guru introduces it lovely too...

ill o.g.
cool down monacle, you been up my ass since you signed up. You cant take a fuckin joke. Im sorry if its that time of the month but go take your anger out on Hoes-R-Us.com.

PEACE

TrustNo1

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ya that Above THe CLouds is the SICKEST beat...only guru and the deck coulda pulled that off .....maybe RZA or RAe too...

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
helix, take it easy man.... i doubt it was that serious.

anyhow, monacle, please dont even respond. just leave it be as it is, the both of you.

*just trying to squash another thread of arguing over nothing guys. if i dont say something, the mods will, and youll both wind up with warnings. (yeah, i know- OOOOH, SCARY...)

oh yeah, i forgot i actually had input.

well, being as i have seen roughly 20 other threads about this subject, there isnt much to say..... i guess...

but the man is a damn legend, he definatly gets the consistancy nod, and although it seems like the stories differ widely as far as who taught who what and when, you can hear his influence in the success of the (formerly) underground producers of the last decade- hi tek, jay dee, ayatollah, alchemist....

HOWEVER- one thing everyone seems to miss in these debates is that if primo didnt exist, the style still would, and we would be discussing someone else in this thread, be it diamond d, large professor, evil dee, someone..... if nwa didnt burst out the gates when they did, someone would have at some point, maybe with less of an impact, but someone would have did it. someone would have invented the scratch if theodore didnt, (cant wait to hear that argument) and if kool herc didnt do what he did, someone else would have, because other cats were doin what he was doing, but not like THAT...... someone would have come along.

you cant deny the influence of greatness, and this is guy is one of the greats, and you can certainly make the argument for him as THE greatest...

but to be honest, rza is not in that class. he doesnt have the consistant track record of other guys.....

faint

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
no doubt premo is one of the illest but to me him and extra p are neck to neck for the one spot pete rock coming close behind as far as dre his sound is crazy as far as mixin and quaitly but he doesnt have the swing on drum as the others and lets not forget extra p thought premo a few things as well as teachin havoc and q tip

E

Equality 7-2521

illmatic is probbaly my fav album produced by premier.

i agree with truth told about many other producers using the same style as Premier though. Yeah he is dope and consistantly made solid beats...but hes not bringing anything new to the table. The beats on Owners were predictable. Premier probably is the GOAT but hes no where near the best today.

Make way for the experimental beatmakers if you want this production shit to go anywhere.

members online