Djin SHows for artists?

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yo an artist ive been working with just asked me the other day if i could dj a show for them. I said i didnt know anything about djing, never doine anything like that, and i dont have the gear, but he said it was cool and they would provide the gear. hes nothing major, obviously, since he would have a real dj or someone, but i figured it might be a cool way to learn what the hell im doing. (small venue, small crowd, low expectations.) i think i might do it, since hes gonna pay me as well.

any of yall do this? i have absolutely no idea what im doing. and idk what gear they are 'providing' probably tts, appropriate wax etc. any tips?

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
what does he expect you to do? I couldnt see a small time artist having their beats on actual vinyl cuz its expensive. Are you pressin play on a cd player, scratchin? I'm tryna think of what you could actually do.

If it is a small venue, then do it, but see if you can practice and ask as many questions as you can about the setup and what exactly they expect you to do. If they are performing to beats that are on vinyl (probably not their own) then what you should do is take note obviously which side the beat is on and where on the record it begins (you're familiar with vinyl, you kno the big groove that seperates songs?). Mark that with a sticker, post it note or one of those round office sticker things. This way everything is obvious as day where to put the needle. It may seem really obvious now, but if your on stage and the lighting is all cracked out for the performance it'll come in handy.

Dont know what else to say except ask em questions so even if the performance isnt great, it's not that it was the dj's fault!!

Good luck to you though, sounds cool. Whats the artists name, wheres the performance and when is it?? lol i'm not gonna randomly show up dont worry, just wonderin though.

Peace man

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
^ yea, i know the basic stuff, how to mark/play records. it will be on wax im sure, this guy has some money and hes been in the game a minute, hes given me his wax before. hes no one you will have heard of, his name is jordan schantz, no mc name. i dont know the show date/venue at this point, i didnt even say yes yet.

from all the concerts ive gone to, its seems like basically all the dj does is just basically cue up the right beats for the set and then press play. is that right?

and ill ask plenty of questions, thanks 5th.

btw, you better not show up, i would just stop the show and make you finish the set, being as you actually have some vinyl skills.

T

The Bastard

ColossusBeatfix said:
yo an artist ive been working with just asked me the other day if i could dj a show for them. I said i didnt know anything about djing, never doine anything like that, and i dont have the gear, but he said it was cool and they would provide the gear. hes nothing major, obviously, since he would have a real dj or someone, but i figured it might be a cool way to learn what the hell im doing. (small venue, small crowd, low expectations.) i think i might do it, since hes gonna pay me as well.

any of yall do this? i have absolutely no idea what im doing. and idk what gear they are 'providing' probably tts, appropriate wax etc. any tips?
one thing i learned about in life is, capatilize on opportunity,even if you dont know what the fuck your doing, throw yurself in the water and learn how to swim,you got nuthin to lose

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
oh no no no lol. I have negative vinyl skills. I attempt to scratch records but fail horribly. I can almost "ALMOST" mix decently but thats about it.

You're right though, that is all the dj does. So if thats all you have to do then you are set. Sometimes the dj's will have a scratch section but it doesnt sound like you have to worry about that.

Bastard says it all too.

Just do the shit maing!! Have fun, see what happens.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
allright thanks all, ill let you know how it goes, if it eventually happens. just talked to the artist, and he doesnt know when hes getting a show, so i have no idea. i told him id do it if he absolutely couldnt find anyone else, that actually knows what they are doing.

peace

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
i DJ for a guy down here sometimes its good fun ! obviously if you don't know what you're doing just keep it simple, but you can have a lot of fun with once you know what you're doing ! go for it....

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
If I were you I would do it, DJ'ing tours and shows is how a
lot of beatmakers who turn into working producers actually get
their big break.

From this point on, when you get into a new venture, don't worry
about what you don't know-- the first time you smashed a chick you
didn't say "Wait, I'm a virgin" Nope, you went ahead and just did it
and that's how you should view this opportunity. Good luck.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
shadeed said:
If I were you I would do it, DJ'ing tours and shows is how a
lot of beatmakers who turn into working producers actually get
their big break.

From this point on, when you get into a new venture, don't worry
about what you don't know-- the first time you smashed a chick you
didn't say "Wait, I'm a virgin" Nope, you went ahead and just did it
and that's how you should view this opportunity. Good luck.

genius analogy^^

lmao

members online