***Do Any of Yall Copyright Sampled Beats?***

mrjermaine

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
COPYRIGHT OF SAMPLED BEATS ANSWER

Here's the deal. If you are using straight up loops and just adding your drums, effects, your own sounds, etc., then you by law have to obtain a mechanical license to use the sample/loop. Now, if you're straight chopping your ish, ala Premier like, then go ahead and copyright it. I copywrited a beat I made that had samples but they were chopped to death! I hope that answers your question.

ps - as long as you aint using obvious ish and masking ya beats by chopping it, you aight!

mrjermaine

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
COPYRIGHT OF SAMPLED BEATS ANSWER

Here's the deal. If you are using straight up loops and just adding your drums, effects, your own sounds, etc., then you by law have to obtain a mechanical license to use the sample/loop. Now, if you're straight chopping your ish, ala Premier like, then go ahead and copyright it. I copywrited a beat I made that had samples but they were chopped to death! I hope that answers your question.

ps - as long as you aint using obvious ish and masking ya beats by chopping it, you aight!

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
okay. i understand now

im aiight then cuz most of my shit is chopped like a mugg anyway. But some of my joints got sound bites n' loops so i guess i'll just keep them joints on the low until i get my paper.

aiight, thank yall for all the input

DJFANTOM

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
From my understanding ,like dude from australia said , in usa your work is copywritten as soon as its a finished product too.
When people get stuff "copy written"
They are realy getting there copy write registered. Registering is to prove nationaly and internationaly that you have owner ship.

I got dat from the copy rite web site.

I wouldn't suggest none of us usa " producers" just put a © and think were protected tho. Cause if you don't register it you won't be legaly recognized as the owner in court.

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yes you can copyright a beat you made with samples...if you couldnt then alot of yall are just some dumb cats just for the fact that you would spend countless hours perfecting a craft that you cant even protect from others stealing. Ok check this out if you ever read a copyright paper it kind of ask if the work you plan to use is original or not and if it has anything thats not state it. i was told that if you took a james brown song and change it so that it sounds different from the original then thats a new mix of the song( your mix) and the copyright is just protecting your ideal of what you did to the track but if it came to someone stealing your ideal you can sue them but on top of that james brown would still get paid too cause he stole his music also.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Ok Fame you seem to be pretty smart but let me give you yet another example that explains why you cannot copyright a sampled based track that had been previously registered and the sample has an original copyright owner...LIKE MOST RECORDS....how many monday night football or Nba games have you watched???? at the end there is a little statement that there can be no broadcast or reproduction of any part of this program without expressed written consent of the NFL, ABC or NBC or whoever, this is just a disclaimer to protect their copyright...I mean if you made a whole new NFL action video complete with music and splices from a seasons games and then marketed and sold it no matter if you had 45 minutes of that video or 2 seconds you infringed on the copyright no matter how much of the video you made..you would have to have permission to use the 2 seconds or the 45 it doesn't matter ...this applies to music too.....you missed the whole point....you cannot copyright and register a NEW copyright containing material that has another copyright owners works.....A sample that is from vinyl or any other source that was registered with a copyright can only be altered or submittted as a remix or change to an existing copyright by the ORIGINAL copyright owner not just anyone that is good at flipping a sample even if you were able to copyright it throught the process and later on it was found that you did not get permission it would be invalid....the only recourse or protection that you would have to do this would be to get WRITTEN PERMISSION from who the original copyright owner or registrar that made the record you sampled from....and do not believe that chopping the sample will suffice...it will not ......that is the only legal way..........don't rely on people telling you how it works or your buddy at the record label just give the copyright office a call and you will find out that you cannot do register a Brand new copyright containing a sample from a record no matter if you chop it or not.........you don't have any legal ownership over somthing that you create that contains someone elses intellectual property.....educate yourself
You can also get whats called a mechanical license from The Harry Fox Agency...www.nmpa.org they will get you the permission instead of you having to track down Lou Rawls or whoever...
but in addition you would have to get a master recording license from the record label that owns the master.....

here is a good article, Its from the UK but it pretty much applies to everywhere...
http://www.low-life.fsnet.co.uk/copyright/part3.htm#copyrightinfringement
this issue has already been visited back in the day of hip hop with Biz Markie and De La Soul and their Lawsuit for using a song by I think The Turtles....I don't like arguments but common sense will tell you that trying to go and copyright a song or mix without prior permission is wrong, first of all the original composer or artist might not even like what you did.....LOL

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ok i didnt read all of what you wrote but i skim it all and got the point you where saying but what you must understand is i am copywriten my ideal not to make money but to protect my throughts. Lets say you met so and so big time artist and he said i dont got the time to listen to all your beats right now but if you leave me the cd ill give it a listen(if this is a artist like jayz or who ever you should be cool and would be cool to leave it with him) lets say jay never use any of those beats but later you hear on the new memphis bleek cd one of your tracks with everything you use just different drums. Lets say the sample you use wasnt a known one but if you had alot of records you might know where it came from and on the memphis bleek cd your beat was on there with the credit given to Just Blaze. Would you be piss! look at it like this if james brown or who ever makes a original song he owns the copyright to that song who ever trys to use it to make money must ask him if it ok first and if he wants any money....now i come around and found a good way to flip the beat in a new way....im copyrighting the way i twisted the beat cause at this point james brown never even try to do it this way so now i have came up with something new that was never done and i am protecting it so that some big name producer who might catch a ear of it and want to shark me dont! now if i sale the beat to a artist its really up to them if they want to clear the sample and pay the royalties...i get paid for my ideal and i dont got to pay a cent to the royaties....

fame_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i think if you did what puffy use to do then no you cant copyright the track but if you did what just blaze did with the oh boy track then why cant you all you got to do is describe what you use and how its different from the original check below...i could be wrong but we will get to the bottom of this Big Tracks and maybe somebody will learn something......................Space 6: Derivative Works
A derivative sound recording is one which incorporates some preexisting sounds--sounds which were previously registered, previously published, or which were fixed before February 15, 1972. Registration for a derivative work must be based on the new authorship that has been added. When a work contains preexisting sounds, Space 6 of the application must contain brief, general descriptions of both the preexisting material (Space 6a) and the added material (Space 6b).

For example, Fine Sounds Corporation issues a CD-album containing 16 selections, 2 of which were published last month as singles. On the application for registration of the sounds on the album, the following statement might be given in Space 6a: "sounds for tracks 1 and 3, previously published." The new material might be described in Space 6b as "sounds for 8 tracks" or "sounds for 8 selections."

In cases where the preexisting sounds themselves have been altered or changed in character, Space 6b should be used to describe in more precise terms the engineering techniques involved. For example, Educational Records, Inc., remixes the original tracks of a previously released recording of a Beethoven symphony. Space 6a should identify the preexisting material as "sounds previously published." Space 6b might indicate "remixed from multitrack sound sources" or "remixed sounds." This new material must result from creative new authorship rather than mere mechanical processes; if only a few slight variations or purely mechanical changes (such as declicking or remastering) have been made, registration is not possible.

members online