Do I Need A Manager?

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Good stuff. Very imformative, I've been thinking about a manager myself as well.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
This is a very good article, Shadeed has done his homework, managers come in all shapes sizes and agendas, now I know a few Producer managers but being in some of the bands I played in a manager is essential, and a good manager that knows their role in your business is too, so this probably applies, make sure your manager is also able to invest in your vision and believes in what you are doing.....Shadeed this is excellent, I have had my share of good managers and bad ones....main thing is to have a manager that stays out of your actual business whether its your production itself or if you are a musician out of how and what you are playing, leave that to the band or your production team...LOL.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Sanova said:
Good stuff. Very imformative, I've been thinking about a manager myself as well.

I don't know your track record or history of placements, but if you consider yourself
an "up and comer", then go with a manager that is young, motivated and believes in what you're doing. Most guys have a family member managing until they get that big break, although there are some "freelance" managers that set up actual companies and manage local acts, look into both options and take it from there. Good luck.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
This is a very good article, Shadeed has done his homework, managers come in all shapes sizes and agendas, now I know a few Producer managers but being in some of the bands I played in a manager is essential, and a good manager that knows their role in your business is too, so this probably applies, make sure your manager is also able to invest in your vision and believes in what you are doing.....Shadeed this is excellent, I have had my share of good managers and bad ones....main thing is to have a manager that stays out of your actual business whether its your production itself or if you are a musician out of how and what you are playing, leave that to the band or your production team...LOL.

Yup, I'm sure you've come across that manager or two that puts on their "A&R hat" and
tries to tell you how to play or produce (LoL).
I also know a manager who was investing in a small start-up label with his artist, and said he was low on cash to file the business paperwork, get business cards etc. and then all of a sudden next month he pops up in a brand new BMW, which always reminds me:
Never deal with a person behind-the-scenes that really wants to be bigger than the people in front of the camera.

cnotedatruth

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
managers

thats was a great article I really needed that cus im in the process of putting an beat cd and album together so based upon the response I get I can get a manager.

50 cal

King of the West
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Do all the grinding yourself its more fun to actually meet and network.

yeah but an up and coming producer cant always get to everybody they might want or need to.

you have a young talented producer and a well established manager then the manager can plug him with people he wouldn't be able to get to by himself.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
yeah but an up and coming producer cant always get to everybody they might want or need to.

you have a young talented producer and a well established manager then the manager can plug him with people he wouldn't be able to get to by himself.

Beats and rhymes without the connections to get them heard and placed on albums is what you would call a "hobby".

There's literally thousands of people out there who make good beats, arrange them well and all that, but they lack that person who has been around successful, professional people in music, and that's why they typically don't make it.

It wouldn't be so bad if you make beats as a form of expression or to freestyle over - I can accept that. When you drop 4 grand on equipment and then don't pay that money to get it heard by the right people, then I start to question these dudes' thinking caps out there.

D

deedzstreet

fuck a manager sure its great to have someone do your work for you but the more you do on a project the more fulfilled you feel

J

jdunka

good one.

That is actually a well written article, with lots of good information for artists at every level.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Blowing up is gone?

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Nah, I'll always do it, just not on a routine basis. I don't do the full articles as much, but I'm always around to answer questions which is probably just as good as an article. Articles themselves are in the Industry section.

Ahh ok. Forgot it got moved.

I was gonna ask, how do you go about hunting down a manager?

I'ma reread the articles just in case the answer is there.

shadeed

Go Digital or Go Home
ill o.g.
Ahh ok. Forgot it got moved.

I was gonna ask, how do you go about hunting down a manager?

I'ma reread the articles just in case the answer is there.

Definitely re-read. The info is timeless. I can't believe I wrote half of the stuff. It's good info.

Networking is how you'll get in touch with your first manager. Most managers will find you if you have talent that they believe will make them money. On a local level, its often family members or people in your direct circle that will take on the role. People with some social skills and hustle and a few connects. Surprisingly enough, those are the people who get the artist to the major label level before the label exes them from the picture.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
How do you pick those people out? I know people with connects but have no interest in picking up their phone much less, getting out the house. Others are in school with kids. Music is the last thing on most of my closest supporters minds. Guess I'm looking for a "Ace it takes time, it'll come". Maybe I'm just frustated with the DC scene. idk.

I'ma re read it again tonight though, thanks!

members online