Do I really need a mixer???

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I saw a thread similiar to this but couldnt find it. My question is simple. Do I need a mixer???

I got ACID on my lab top,( never mess it before) May even get reason or pro-tools if need be. Ima get an interface. I want to be able to eq,add effects to all my tracks individually, mixdown and all that stuff on the computer. I make my beats on the MPC,Trition, and other stuff. Do I need to buy a mixer or can I get it done without using the effects thats in acid.

Flipstar

ill o.g.
Hypothetically, you wouldn't need a mixer since all your effects and mixing is being done on computer. All you need is an audio interface that can handle the "MPC, Triton, and other stuff." The audio interface can also be used to apply external effect rack mounts as well.

orpheus

Cook Classics
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 39
Flipstar said:
Hypothetically, you wouldn't need a mixer since all your effects and mixing is being done on computer. All you need is an audio interface that can handle the "MPC, Triton, and other stuff." The audio interface can also be used to apply external effect rack mounts as well.

exactly. A mixer might be a nice convenience to have all your shit easily accessible and connected if you don't have many inputs on your interface, but not necessary. Just get an interface with enough ins and outs

soundboy2

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
So, for those thats using computers for recording, how do you go about getting your tracks into the computer if you sequence on an external sequencer. Like if I got 16 track from my Mpc and 4 from my triton. Do you midi record the tracks seperately or what. Are you getting good mixes with no external mixer? And what is a good interface in the $300 to $500 range.

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
Mixers are dope IMO becasue it is a nice interface/ buffer Between your hardware and software. Its easly accessable and gives your flexabilitity when adding/subtracting stuff from your setup.

Here is what im working with
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~jason12/mixer.JPG

Everything goes into my mixer(my guitar, mpc, fantom rack, motif rack, turntable)

then the audio goes from my mixer to the firwire 410(for recording on the cpu), very flexable

class...

stormelements

Beats That Knock
ill o.g.
classic said:
Mixers are dope IMO becasue it is a nice interface/ buffer Between your hardware and software. Its easly accessable and gives your flexabilitity when adding/subtracting stuff from your setup.

Here is what im working with
http://userpages.umbc.edu/~jason12/mixer.JPG

Everything goes into my mixer(my guitar, mpc, fantom rack, motif rack, turntable)

then the audio goes from my mixer to the firwire 410(for recording on the cpu), very flexable

class...

Ayo, Class..

What's the name of your mixer?

Jay

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
really only need a mixer for recording audio and giving the track it's "warmth" or "dirty" sound. If you do get a mixer it would just be routed like this:

computer --> mixer --> computer

its also a good excuse to get some good monitors for your setup.

stormelements

Beats That Knock
ill o.g.