Do you have to clear breakbeat samples???

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
Do.you.have.to.clear.breakbeat.samples???

yeah.my.keyboard.is.still.fucked.up.but.i.got.a.question.
im.under.a.strange.misconception.that.if.u.sample.a.loop.from.a.break.beat.compilation.u.dont.have.to.clear.the.sample.is.that.true.somebody.let.me.know.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

Are you talking about sample cd's you get at Guitar Center? If you bought it, you should be allowed to use the samples in your songs because you purchased a licence which allows you that right. If it's a bootleg disc, you're probably not allowed to use them.

The basic rule I like to follow is: if you're not sure, you're not allowed.

Nick

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I asked my lawyer about this and he told me that "as a general rule of thumb, nothing that you buy is truely yours until you have documentation of ownership or licensed to use it."

--dac

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
actually.i.was.referring.to.breakbeat.compilations.such.as.the.dusty.fingers.LP's.which.are.very.popular.i.waas.browsing.some.other.forums.and.they.were.talking.about.them.and.lilttle.things.of.how.people.escape.clearing.their.samples.cuz.they.used.the.breakbeat.LP's.instead.of.the.original.albums.i.wanted.to.ask.them.there.but.my.keyboard.is.fucked.up.as.shown.by.my.innability.to.use.the.spacebar.and.im.too.lazy.to.register.and.i.have.too.much.pride.to.be.anybodys.newbie...lol

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

I'm not a lawyer, but I'll bet the initial pressing of the Dusty Fingers stuff is illegal as hell. And just because a track has been rereleased on a compilation, even if it was done legally, doesn't mean that the initial copyrights and publishing stuff don't apply anymore.

If this weren't the case, we in theory could all burn copies of songs we like onto a cd, then sample them instead of the original discs.

Take care,

Nick