Does anybody pay for drum samples? Do you recommend any libraries?

3ternal

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 3
I was listening to samples and loops from Ghosthack last night on youtube. I wasn't impressed. The drums just sounded like a bunch of techno crap, the vocal loops sounded cheesy, melodic loops sounded pretty generic, and the drum loops sounded like I could make any one of them in 30 minutes or less. Definitely not paying for that.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543
I feel you bro. I just want nice good samples that thump.

So many sample packs are like one shots with artefacts in them, or really wet signals. Quite annoying. I don't even want drum loops or melody samples.

Just clean nice good one shots. Seems too much to ask a lot of the time.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 543

So many sample packs are like one shots with artefacts in them, or really wet signals. Quite annoying. I don't even want drum loops or melody samples.

And this makes me mega hesitant to buy packs.

I get some free ones and they don't often inspire me to buy paid ones.

I got a Cymatics free stuff. Sounded fairly decent at first. But been resorting to a lot of stock samples in my daw.

3ternal

ILLIEN

Kind of off topic (but on topic) I know exactly what you're saying. Back in the day I used to download free samples and they were just stock FL samples, very basically layered at best. I was just acquiring tons of sounds I never used. I also get what you're saying about wet samples, I hate that too because they're difficult to mix into a song. None of the samples I was hearing sounded amazing, or out of my grasp to design. I guess they'd come in handy to save time.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I was listening to samples and loops from Ghosthack last night on youtube. I wasn't impressed. The drums just sounded like a bunch of techno crap, the vocal loops sounded cheesy, melodic loops sounded pretty generic, and the drum loops sounded like I could make any one of them in 30 minutes or less. Definitely not paying for that.
I think the issue is there's just so much out there and there's so many people making beats that you're bound to use something some else is using. If I do use kits then I definitely chop them up or at least manipulate them somewhat.
Even if the samples are "wet" they're still useful because it's like sampling any song; it's what you do with it. I like to :guillotine:

[SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT] I'm an affiliate for Producer Spot as you can see in my signature so you can check them out too because they have a lot of stuff: http://bit.ly/2P8RLo9

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Battle Points: 360
I found a mother-load of acoustic drums back when we did the "Rock" beat this and could share those if anyone is interested. Got recordings from floor, room, over on toms -- dry, ambience, average, wet Gretsch Birch snares -- Crack, hard/med/soft/super soft snares, rimshots, and various kicks etc etc. Most of this stuff sounds like it came right out of a Tool album. WAS VERY HARD TO FIND... I was up like 2 nights in a row trying to find this, but yeah... Ill post a sample.

anyhow... yeah, it sounds really good... but obviously not rappy enough to get any votes in a contest :mad:

Nothing here yet.

Last edited:

3ternal

ILLIEN
I found a mother-load of acoustic drums back when we did the "Rock" beat this and could share those if anyone is interested. Got recordings from floor, room, over on toms -- dry, ambience, average, wet Gretsch Birch snares -- Crack, hard/med/soft/super soft snares, rimshots, and various kicks etc etc. Most of this stuff sounds like it came right out of a Tool album. WAS VERY HARD TO FIND... I was up like 2 nights in a row trying to find this, but yeah... Ill post a sample.

anyhow... yeah, it sounds really good... but obviously not rappy enough to get any votes in a contest :mad:

Nothing here yet.

LOL not even gonna lie that was going pretty hard. The only rock drums that don't go good in rap IMO are super dry snares.

Crispifier

The Real SlimSpaceship
Battle Points: 15
I bought the ghosthack drums and used em a little they are ok but the free stuff on this site is equal or better but then a mysterious stranger on this site sent me their drum samples for free and i have never used anything else since, to be fair to ghosthack the vocals can be cool if you slice em or resynth em with harmor

Crispifier

The Real SlimSpaceship
Battle Points: 15
@2GooD Productions why mysterious stranger its you!
shocked.gif

Bino5150

~Mo Thugs~

You got any of the kits I posted?

Fury Beats

Fury Beats
Battle Points: 241
I came across these drum kits a few months ago. Haven't been through all of it because it's so massive but it's bound to have something there where you can make some bangers.

members online