does anyone here DJ?

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
and if so, has it helped with your music production in anyway?

Historically a lot of hip-hop producers began by DJing and I'm wondering whether it could benifit any of us.

B

BOSS AUTHORITY

I do. I'm mostly a scratch DJ and I think that gives me a one-up on other hip-hop producers who can't scratch. I haven't gotten to record scratching into my beats cuz I'm currently going through equipment transition and technical issues and shyt. As a DJ I listen to alot of instrumentals so maybe that helps. I started producing before I was a DJ though.

C

Copenhagen

I haven't been the greatest scratch DJ, but I think that it helps you when you start out...gives you a good feel on what a track needs, if you understand what I mean...

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
interesting.

I'm considering getting into DJing. I think I'd get a turntable 4 scratching, but I'd get a CD mixer for actually DJing/playing music at nightclubs or parties. I have very little hip-hop vinyl but mad cds.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I started off DJ'ing back in '96 (damn I'm old) and it has helped me a lot in making beats. Learning how to mix and blend helped me learn a lot about bars and chorus and stuff like that. When scratching or beat juggling (especially beat juggling), I was able to learn and be comfortable with the records and just get an overall feel of everything. I would highly recommend you get into it.

The main thing about DJ'ing is that it's fun! When I first started out, I would spend long hours practicing and it paid off.

Getting a CD mixer for parties is good, but you'll hear a lot of DJ's tell you that you're not 'keeping it real'. I think your best bet is to get turntables AND a CD mixer and use both at parties that way if anyone questions your credibility, you can pimp slap them like a little bitch.

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
great advice Fade (especially the pimp slapping part :D )

I'm strongly considering getting into it now.

peace

X

XerXes

i started as a DJ, but i got over it and wanted to make my own beats, i was interested in how it all went together and shit, so i have been makin beats for almost 2 years now, i have just been studying mad beats

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I did it. I bought a cheap but good cd setup today. I don't really know what the f@#* I'm doing but I'm happy I'm in the game.

peace

C

Copenhagen

Congrats, its a lot of fun. It feels good to decide something and then actually buying it, doesn't it?

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

Some stuff to consider:

1. Walk before you run. It's going to be REALLY tempting to try to sound like Eric B., but remember that you're not using turntables and he's been doing it for a very long time. Maybe try to learn how to match beats, get two discs to playback in sync.

2. Most, if not all, hip hop music is written in 4/4. This means that in every measure there are 4 beats...if you listen to a record, you will be able to count '1...2...3...4...2...2...3...4...3...2...3...4...4...2...3...4...' After a while this counting will come naturally, you'll be tapping your feet in time to everything.

3. If your scratches don't sound just like what you hear on albums, it may be because cd turntables don't sound like vinyl turntables...but there are some really cool things you can do with the cd decks that you can't do with vinyl!

Take care,

Nick

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Thanks guys, it does feel great to take a step forwards. Great tips vitaminman! Thanks to everyone 4 their support.

peace y'all

:D

JP hardboiled

Find Your Fight
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 297
i d.j. and i believe it's helped me tremendously with being musical and creative.