Does making beats lessen your pure enjoyment...

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
To me, after fucking with music for a while I find myself studying music, its structure, and every little element instead of just listening. While it is a good trait to have as someone who wants to make QUALITY music, it hinders some of the fun of listening. (not all of the time, but sometimes) I was thinking about this the other day when listening to some shit I grew up on. (mostly early 90's stuff before I even ever thought about making music) I'm sure some of ya'll got this disease. Sometimes, it would be nice to go back to the way it was and just enjoy without critique and judgement. Thoughts?

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
yes, always i can't enjoy shit with out saying omg i know how thats done or just talkin to myself on how and what might be stacked and how i can redo the whole sound yea i fucked up my enjoyment for just sittin back and listening to a track

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
i like to watch beatmaking videos not to learn shit, just to see how people utalize their equipment and stuff and what ish they be making

M!nd_Ctrl

Posted Up
ill o.g.
I break everything down too. Actually, I've tried to separate the instruments in my head for since I was about 15. It doesn't ruin the enjoyment for me though.

Ctrl

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Yeah, it's weird. It's not that I'm not enjoying it, but the PURE feeling I used to have when I had "production-virgin" ears is gone. I guess the point is, looking at a piece of music contextually instead of mathematically. It is cool to have the perspective of a producer though and knowing or at least guessing what is going down though. I definitely agree on that and believe it's a needed trait for growing as an artist.

E

Equality 7-2521

picking a song apart is an enjoyable process for me. it shows the level of effort that went into making the song and also how it was created. plus you hear sounds that you dont iniitailly hear (ear candy and other intracacies). and i dont find it hard to step back and listen to the whole song in context so im all good in this depatment. i feel as though i enjoy music more these days than i ever did so...

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
Its Kinda i thing i can turn on and off, but i enjoy it none the less....I can just listenin to music just for enjoyment for the first time thru,but after the second an third im tryin to figure what made this beat hot,why does my head nod,etc...And also its what Equality brought up. that ear candy that most people dont hear that made the beat even hotter...

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Most producers analyse stuff but I can still enjoy the music while doing it, i notice every so often i hear a track that is so dope that the analysis just 'turns off' and i can listen as i did b4 i started producing.

I also find when im weeded i can also listen to music purley without breaking it down

ill o.g.
JPeg said:
Most producers analyse stuff but I can still enjoy the music while doing it, i notice every so often i hear a track that is so dope that the analysis just 'turns off' and i can listen as i did b4 i started producing.

I also find when im weeded i can also listen to music purley without breaking it down

Thats what i woulda said. I agree 100% on all that.

Equelizer

BEAT HEAD LOCKER
ill o.g.
I find myself analyzing too. I breakdown the beat in my head and separate the instruments. Trying to figure out how they did it, what did they use or better yet, how much the check was for the beat. I can still enjoy myself though.

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
i kinda know the magic to just about every producer now. now i know how u flipped a sample cuz i can do it too (if not better), i know where u got dat commercial ass clap snare cuz i have it, and i know where kanye got the "diamonds" sample from cuz i flipped it a year n' a half ago....so i guess being a producer does open my eyes to the reality of it all.

i realized i listen to the beats more then anything in most music now. Im always thinkin', "I want dat hihat" or some shit.

ill o.g.
Its a gift and a curse, a double egde sword. Once you get into beatmaking, every piece of music becomes a jigsaw puzzle. While it might seem annoying at first, it developes into a subconcious action. These days music with words no longer exist. Everything is an instrumental.

A B

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
At the moment i find it helps me appreciate other peoples beats more than i used to cos now i actually notice the little things

aklaim

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
haha true

Equelizer said:
what did they use or better yet, how much the check was for the beat.

shit, i'm guilty of that too. especially when shit's mad minimal, you're like damn, that fool just got 20 g's for that.
-b

Cloudchamber

ill o.g.
I dont' know if any of you can identify with this, but the music that was wrecked for me was church music. I grew up playing bass and guitar in church, and the naked ambition toward emotional manipulation completely prevented me from ever "believing" the music in church. Its like what was once an adjuvant to worship became an obstacle.

I don't really notice the same effect with popular music, however--there's really no deeper meaning to be lost. Either it rules or it sucks. Period.

]|[att

ron herman

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Cloudchamber said:
I dont' know if any of you can identify with this, but the music that was wrecked for me was church music. I grew up playing bass and guitar in church, and the naked ambition toward emotional manipulation completely prevented me from ever "believing" the music in church. Its like what was once an adjuvant to worship became an obstacle.

I don't really notice the same effect with popular music, however--there's really no deeper meaning to be lost. Either it rules or it sucks. Period.

]|[att

My sentiments exactly once that beat start cranking the holy ghost is in the house. I do notice when MC's punch in or when ad libs are sloppy. I can tell also when vocal were recorded at different studios the sound just doesnt match.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Actually, now that I make beats, I find that some beats that I found real simple and "all right" are dope as hell!

You know what I mean? Like the beat is real minimal, but all the sounds are tuned and processed to perfection to obtain a certain feeling, or a certain harmony... or there is a little effect on a sound that makes all the beat move.

When you're not beatmaking, all that just gets in the mix...

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
i gotta say i think i 'enjoyed' listening to hip hop more before i made beats... but now i dont like it any less, just see it in a COMPLETELY different light.

also, does anyone notice that you dont pick up on lyrics to the song as quick anymore?

sAfE.

P

Protege

The same is like me with dj's. When i was dj'n i would hear dj's and be like "what was that club thinkin." And now that i have been makin music, the way i lesten to beats has changed drastically.