Does MOTU's AudioDesk and/or Digital Performer Need...

TheSpark...

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Does MOTU's AudioDesk and/or Digital Performer Need a MOTU Sound Card to make it work? You know the way Pro Tools requires a digidesign sound card.

Thanks In Advance...

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Does MOTU's AudioDesk and/or Digital Performer Need a MOTU Sound Card to make it work? You know the way Pro Tools requires a digidesign sound card.

Thanks In Advance...

What are the system requirements for Digital Performer 5?
System Requirements for DP 5

The minimum requirements for DP 5 are:

Mac OS 10.3.7 or higher (10.4 or higher for DP 5.1 or later)
G4 500 MHz or faster
512 MB RAM
A CD disk drive for installation
We recommend:

G4 dual 1 GHz or faster, or any Intel Mac (DP 5.1 or later required for Intel Mac support); dual processor/dual core systems are also recommended
1 GB RAM or more
17" (or larger) monitor is highly recommended
For DAE, Pro Tools 6.7 or higher is required (Pro Tools 6.9.3 or higher for DP 5.1). However, for optimum performance, we strongly recommend using 7.1 cs9 or higher (for DP 5.11, we strongly recommend using 7.2 cs1).

from motu.com

TheSpark...

ILLIEN
ill o.g.

So is that a "no" you think? Cause I'm buying a new iMac in the next week or two so all of the system requirements should be fine... but do you think they would state you need their sound card in those requirements?

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
So is that a "no" you think? Cause I'm buying a new iMac in the next week or two so all of the system requirements should be fine... but do you think they would state you need their sound card in those requirements?

yeah...i think if you needed it they would at least say so in the "recommended" requirements section. i was looking into a number of mac based sequencers recently, and while i ended up settling on logic 7.2 i looked at motu fairly deeply and never heard someone say you need their soundcards.

TheSpark...

ILLIEN
ill o.g.

Awesome thanks for that info...let me ask what made you go with Logic instead? And if anyone knows any different about original subject please let me know...

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Awesome thanks for that info...let me ask what made you go with Logic instead? And if anyone knows any different about original subject please let me know...

Well I've been using FL 5/6 for about a year now, and been using it on boot camp since i got my mac book pro in July. FL is cool, but i want a more stable and complete program that can handle apple core audio, which PC programs cant do..

so, that left me with Live, MOTU, Logic, and Cubase. What it came down to for me is that Logic, while it has a lot of flaws (most notably it has a very steep learning curve, which MOTU does not, at least not to the same extent) is kind of universally regarded as the ultimate composition tool. Since i dont really sample, and Logic has hands down the best instrument/synth pack you can find, it just made sense for me. Also, now that i've become really serious about production I want to find a program, master it, and never feel limited by my application again. I think speaking objectively, assuming you master the program, Logic can give you more composition options than anything else out there. If you haven't checked it out, and you're interested, take half an hour out of your day and watch these videos on the apple website to see what i mean...i mean, the things you can do with sculpture, guitar amp pro (more useful for hip hop than i think people realize), and some of their other instruments, are amazing (http://www.apple.com/logicpro/quicktours/). Tweakheadz also has some great comparisons of logic, sonar, and a bunch of these apps. his website still ranks logic as #1 for DAW's.

Anyway kind of right as i made this decision and was leaning towards logic i was walking through my campus bookstore and saw logic 7 on sale for $300...700 off the normal price, needless to say that sealed it for me...i mean you cant even get the full version of FL 6 with all the plugins for that cheap, much less cubase, motu, or anything on that level.

but, that being said, MOTU is supposed to be awesome and a viable alternative to logic- i know a few people who swore by it when i was asking around about programs. it all depends what works best for you and your workflow...and don't underestimate interface. The best advice i got was people teling me like, you have to think of your program's interface as you would if you were picking a studio...you should feel comfortable working for long periods in it without being like man i hate how this is laid out or i hate how it looks. lol hope this essay's helped.

TheSpark...

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey man thanks... I made an appointment yesterday with the apple store and I got to use Logic hands on... it was very much like Acid (But with more options) that I have been using for years so I don't think my learning curve should be too bad. I loved Logic and got it pre-installed on my computer... Logic Pro is the one that is $1000 but express is the one for $300, but with the educational discount it came out to $150... it looks like a great program, so thanks... and by the way... AudioDesk is not available for Intel Macs yet so I had to give that up as an option... and I hated how ProTools has such limited tracks to use for recording...

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey man thanks... I made an appointment yesterday with the apple store and I got to use Logic hands on... it was very much like Acid (But with more options) that I have been using for years so I don't think my learning curve should be too bad. I loved Logic and got it pre-installed on my computer... Logic Pro is the one that is $1000 but express is the one for $300, but with the educational discount it came out to $150... it looks like a great program, so thanks... and by the way... AudioDesk is not available for Intel Macs yet so I had to give that up as an option... and I hated how ProTools has such limited tracks to use for recording...

no problem man glad i could help

members online