Dope

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
If I'm not mistaken, this seems to be a word that a lot of people are using today, especially the younger crowd. Even women.

I've been saying it since the 90s when dope meant something, but is today's generation really using it? I'm assuming it's music-related and that's probably how it started back up again and got popular today.

What's next?
  • Fly?
  • Fresh?
  • ILL?
  • Finna?
It's kind of like with the Straight Outta Compton movie coming out and all of a sudden there's all these stupid memes out there. WTF.

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
I said "dope" in the early to mid 90's and later reintegrated it into my language in the early 2000 on a nostalgia trip and still use it to this day.

Being from Compton is once again cool!! 80% of the people wearing the hat wouldn't be caught dead there though

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I'm from the South. We never stopped saying finna. I was born saying that shit. Not really hip hop to us.
True.
I said "dope" in the early to mid 90's and later reintegrated it into my language in the early 2000 on a nostalgia trip and still use it to this day.

Being from Compton is once again cool!! 80% of the people wearing the hat wouldn't be caught dead there though
It's like gold rope chains back then - only certain people were supposed to wear it. Now all things and sayings are a fashion statement.

Now that I think about it, we should bring back "macking" and "trick ass mark buster".

Last edited:

MitchHolmes

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
tric ass mark lollllllll

I still use dope .. its west island talk amonsgt skaters and hip hop heads growing up. That along with "G"

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Back in the day.. my best friends cousin moved here (94ish) from LA because her Mom wanted to get her away from danger. She introduced me to the word hella. I thought that was a cool descriptive word but it meant something because I learned it from a unique source. Nowadays.. everything is cheap.. "used"... even relationships with themselves and other people.. their identity.. transitory and dependent on popularity or "likes".

You know what is Dope??

Integrity, Strength, Skill, Fade, Dac, Wings, Pug, illmuzik Fam, PG.. ect.. the rest has no evolution

Reactions: Pug

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Whoa, Mitch, you're from the west island? Aw man, you're one of those people.... so sad. Jokes jokes.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Yeah.. it caught on with us like stds and free love.. just worked universal for anything.. magnified that X dope hella ill shit that no one knows better than the ones who define what's what.. FRESH like that first tit you scoped in your friends mag a ten.. before the net ruined what the definition of nudee mag meant. Technology officially kilt the foreplay.

T

TagYourBeats

Being from the UK, we have had some of the stupidest "urban" sayings/phrases.

DENCH was one.