double tracked vocals ..thoughts!!

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
personally im not feelin double and quadruple stacked vocals ... im talkin about the main take i stack vocals on the chorus .. i think some recordings are ruined by stacking... for example i love ti but i hate the way he stacks his shit sometimes .. it makes it sound meesy to my ears... i prefer one good take ... listen to nas ... he barley even adlibs his shit.. just one clean smooth take .. perfect... even kanyes shit sounds great and u can tell its only one take.. none of this punchin layering bullshit ... if u need multiple takes to make ur voice sound prsent .. u just gotta weak voice..... the only person where i like the double take is 2pac cuz he did it flawlessly... but i know people that do 4 takes of there verse ... that shit is ridiculous to me... i just wanna know what ur thoughts are

O

open mind

well,
i prefer the verse part as clean as possible.on the hook they can go crazy with effects doubling tribling or quadruble vocals i dont care as long as it fits.

O

open mind

imagine the artists that need doubling their voice to come hard are performing live in front of a crowed lol.they lost without a dude backing them up with the vocals.haha

thats why i respect if an mc dont need doubling or fx to make his voice present.if voice of mc sound shit without effects and doubling they should betta give up.seriously.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Kanye punches in like a muh fucka..............

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
theres this one guy that comes to my studio alot .. he always insist that he doubles his vocals .. i always fight with him and tell him not to do a double ... but hes paying so i go ahead and do doubles .. one day he comes into the studio like .. yo i was really listenin to jay-z hard and i realized he doesnt do doubles! I think my shit would sound better with one take! ... Im like ur a fucin idiot i told u a million times that shit would sound better with one take..... shows u how stupid people are.. they ignore what the producer tells them untill they realize from SOMEBODY ELSE that we were tellin them the right thing all along....Fucin idiots

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Are you saying no adlibs at all? I personally like ad libs with some people and its almost necessary in some music such as crunk. Young Jeezy and Pastor Troy both come to mind when I think of great ad libs, they have so much energy in their verses because of them. I think Jay-Z has a pretty boring flow that sounds the same in every song but thats personal preference.

O

open mind

Kanye punches in like a muh fucka..............

ghostface killahs voice is very special and comes very nice without effects its one of my fav.man fuck it, the whole wutang comes hard without doubling and effecting vocals to much.

ps: cant wait that damn CUBAN LINX ALBUM PART II from raekwon.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
I always say, ad libs need very lil care, emphasis on certain words, whispers behind certain parts, but never, ever double up on the vocals all the way thru or more than a few words in the verse LOL....maybe the hook and just barely noticeble or change the delay and equ out the low....add slight effect or whatever.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
^^^^^ @ open mind ...exactly wu tang/ghostface... thats what im talkin bout no tricks or doubles there just talent

i agree 100% big d

i dont mean adlibs or neccesarily punch ins ... i mean when it is obvious that the entire verse is doubled .. thats what i mean... for example listen to nas new single then listen to young dro shoulda lean ... the diffrence should be clear .. im talkin about doing multiple takes of the entire verse .. many rappers (in the south esp) are doing this and i think it sounds cheesy .. if u can spit u can spit .. u dont need to beef urself up to sound like something (or someone) ur not... then when u see these cats live u wonder why they sound so much diffrent than the cd u got at home... cuz its really them, not stacks of vocals with harmonizers and auto tune and etc...

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I 100% agree with you Ash and I hate when people come record and insist on doin just that.Doin a verse 4 times to stack it cause"Thats my style man" is one reason why the studio doesnt get much outside use..
When I use to rhyme alot I thought it was cool because it gives you that phased sound in your headphones but now that Im older and the artform is older I truely believe in main vocal clean and like an adlib and thats it..
However 1 of my partners came thru and dropped a song with like 3 adlib tracks..
Now initially my heart is all wtf..But hes a pro and knows his style and I trusted him and it really brought the whole picture together once it was done bcuz they werent stacked they all had a diff little place...lol
But yea Im older and wiser now, once in a while Ill copy and paste a verse then like pitch the copy down a couple of semitones just to play with that pac sound but typically naw...

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
ghostface killahs voice is very special and comes very nice without effects its one of my fav.man fuck it, the whole wutang comes hard without doubling and effecting vocals to much.

ps: cant wait that damn CUBAN LINX ALBUM PART II from raekwon.

Why'd u quote my post to say that? Not quite sure what that had to do with kanye

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
i personally double the rhyming word in my lines and deviate from that. i agree that when they double their whole verse it sounds messy or as if they are scared to let their voice be heard.
a good example of raw sounding vocals is anyone who works with 9th wonder...like murs on the murrays revenge album...9th didnt let him do double ups on anything...everything on that album is one take...and there are mistakes but 9th didnt let him fix them because the first take has the most soul.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
^^^^^ i wouldnt doubt it... im just sayin i dont like it..i know nas doesnt double, i know jay doesnt double, i know ghost doesnt double, most ny rappers from the golden era dont double.. the new breed of rappers def double and u CAN tell that they do (well at least i can)... i can def tell eminem doubles... listen to his first album then listen to the dre produced ones.. big diffrence... i heard eminem will stack like 8 takes soetimes.. im sayin .... i just appreciate when someone can step in the booth lay shit down proper ... 4 example in my post earlier about the cat that comes to my studio... thats just plain insecurity... thinking u HAVE to double in order to sound good ... thats the problem with music nowadays .. singing voices HAVE to be autotuned.. rap vocals HAVE to be doubled... the mix HAS to be as loud as possible at the sacrifice of the dynamics... the shit is ridiculous .. then when u put in an album like mobb deep infamous / supreme clientele on ur just like .. damn that shit sounds dope.. the vocals got so much personality... they make subtle mistakes....it feels like a hip hop record not a broadway performance....u can tell its just them there .. not them and there orchestra of doubles and layers

i will give it up to eminem though the man has talent but hes a needle in a haystack... but even in his case i can clearly tell hes doubling.. albeit he does it extremely well..

edit: those arrows were in response to dreampolice not agent smith

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
^^^^^ i wouldnt doubt it... im just sayin i dont like it..i know nas doesnt double, i know jay doesnt double, i know ghost doesnt double, most ny rappers from the golden era dont double.. the new breed of rappers def double and u CAN tell that they do (well at least i can)... i can def tell eminem doubles... listen to his first album then listen to the dre produced ones.. big diffrence... i heard eminem will stack like 8 takes soetimes.. im sayin .... i just appreciate when someone can step in the booth lay shit down proper ... 4 example in my post earlier about the cat that comes to my studio... thats just plain insecurity... thinking u HAVE to double in order to sound good ... thats the problem with music nowadays .. singing voices HAVE to be autotuned.. rap vocals HAVE to be doubled... the mix HAS to be as loud as possible at the sacrifice of the dynamics... the shit is ridiculous .. then when u put in an album like mobb deep infamous / supreme clientele on ur just like .. damn that shit sounds dope.. the vocals got so much personality... they make subtle mistakes....it feels like a hip hop record not a broadway performance....u can tell its just them there .. not them and there orchestra of doubles and layers

i will give it up to eminem though the man has talent but hes a needle in a haystack... but even in his case i can clearly tell hes doubling.. albeit he does it extremely well..

edit: those arrows were in response to dreampolice not agent smith

Never heard it put better...Really..

FTdub

SP1200 manhandler
ill o.g.
As stated earlier the true nice mc's don't need to double, triple, or quadruple, its just a way to mask their lack of presence. First take has the most soul, second has soul but is moreon point, 3rd is most on point but lacks as much soul, if you can't get something out of three takes, then they don't need to be in the booth. Punch in on rhymes, punchlines, or for emphasis. Its all in the feel of the flow.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
yo stress uses adlibs very very well, they can work, but i feel you about the 1 take shit, gives it a more live edge, small mistakes can make a trrack IMO

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
i recorded this groups album over the past 5 months and we did double takes plus ad libs on eeeeevery rhyme on every song. double takes and voice overs helped their sound greatly. without it, their vocals had no presence, soul or "life" it seemed like, so i had them do the double takes for their own sake. this wasn't a project i was personally behind, i was gettin paid like Ash in his situation. my job was basically to get the best possible sound, and in their case (not to shit on their talents) they needed the double takes.

my technique was pretty simple though.. i had one main take that had good processing on it and the doubled take would be mixed very low. it wasn't a full spectrum 2pac stack at all, one would just be mixed low and it'd fill it out nicely. Gave it an "artificial naturalness" to it..

aha.. yeah i had to make up a term to describe it, but the technique has its place like you guys already said.

members online

No members online now.