Dr Dre G-Funk

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Was there a particular keyboard/synthesizer that Dre used back in the early 90's to acheive the g-funk sound that is present in songs such as
"nuthing but a g thang" - dre
"whats my name" - snoop dogg
"dre day" - dre

Is it still available nowadays? Can i get it as software on my computer?

Y

young le

alot of those songs contained samples so i am not sure how much the keyboard you use would matter

TKNK

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
MOST WESTCOAST ARTIST DURING THAT TIME USED YAMAHA OR ROLAND SYNTHS. CUS THAT STYLE WAS REALLY SYNTH HEAVY.LIKE THE YAMAHA DX-7 OR ROLAND XP20-XP50.
AND IT PROBABLY HAD VCA CONTROLS THAT MAK THAT ANALOG SOUND.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

Do you mean that annoying high-pitched synth sound? If I know what I think you're talking about, that type of sound is called a worm.

I believe it was made on this guy, you can find all sorts of info about it and Dre on the net:

http://www.studioelectronics.com/products_atc1.php

This is a real analogue synth modeled after the old Mini-Moogs from the 60's. What's very cool about it is that you can buy new filters for it which are supposed to sound like the old 2600's, 303's, etc. The benefit of having such a synth is that they are newer and can be controlled by MIDI.

As for value, they are a lot of money, about the price of a Motif, and they are only mono synths (only one note at a time).

Take care,

Nick

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
Originally posted by DjDelay
Was there a particular keyboard/synthesizer that Dre used back in the early 90's to acheive the g-funk sound that is present in songs such as
"nuthing but a g thang" - dre
"whats my name" - snoop dogg
"dre day" - dre

Is it still available nowadays? Can i get it as software on my computer?

Most of these songs contain samples or replayed portions from live instruments or vintage equipment. There really is no Module/keyboard/synthesizer that he used.

DJ Hoppa

Broken Complex Records
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 50
i seen that sound as a preset on some VST plugin....i believe it's called the:

GANGSTA WHINE

*holds up the west-sieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed*

nobodyfamous

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
its on reason...called the basic synth i think..its a preset..but im sure its on most synths, soft and hardware

themucka

"The man behind the Hits"
ill o.g.
DR.. DRE USES

MOOG SYNTHIZER'S...
MINI MOOGS... MY BOY HAS ONE HE USED...
HIS NAME CRACK... HE LET DRE BORROW HIS KEYBOARD.. FOR
THE SONG CALIFORNIA.. WIT PAC..
THE VOCAL EFX IS OFF HIS KEYBOARD...

"MURDER WAS THE CASE THAT THEY GAVE "
BY SNOOP DOG...
IN THE VIDEO.. YOU SEE DRE PLAY IT.... ( THE MOOG THAT IS)
PLUS I KNOW HE USES IT ON G THANG...

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by DJ Hoppa
i seen that sound as a preset on some VST plugin....i believe it's called the:

GANGSTA WHINE

*holds up the west-sieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed*

Haha, yeah that preset is off the JX-16 that comes with cubase I think. It sounds exactly like that old school hi pitch sound from Dre's older stuff.

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Originally posted by Holmzini
yeah iseen the mini moog at sam ash the other day ..its $2300. worth it though. i ws tryn it out...thgat shit has got the fattest/thickest sound of any sythn ive heard...

Another option is the Moog Modular
http://www.arturia.com/en/moogmodular.lasso

Its a software emulation of the famous analog syth, I use it myself and it's THE BOMB! It's not a cheap imitation, they took there time and developed this one with Bob Moog's technical guidance and approval I would highly recommend it unless your a keyboard fanatic and have to have the real thing.

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
no problem Holmzini, I can safely say the Moog Modular is the TRUTH next best to the real thing!

members online