Drake...

Right... Aside from hearing this guy whilst i venture around modern day society(bars, department stores, commercial radio), and seeing him acting like the mixed race version of Tom Hanks from Big as he parades around the side court at the Raptors games, I've never sat down and listened to any of his work. I like all sorts of music, but love hip hop. What I've heard from him i always thought was AT BEST mediocre; but i'm willing to have another listen cus i don't want to trash the guy if it's just a case of me being a bit closed minded.
Is there anything i should check out, or is my hunch that it's 'hyped up' 'wank' accurate?

Delta_Nine

Illa la muzika!!!
I'm not gonna lie tho, I resurface from the depths of the underground and try to be open minded from time to time and check the current state of rap. The last time I did that it was migos and chief keef. Respect u for that. I'm pretty sure tho, ima be one of those old grumpy hiphop heads in a few years. LONG LIVE MELLE MEL!!

Last edited:

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
I @Delta_Nine am highly open minded but some shit I just don’t rock with.

so it's decided! he's a real piece of sh^t.
@Delta_Nine i think we're all curmudgeons on here, and we're probably right...biggest selling rapper of all time....-i suppose the industry is driven by 12 year olds. i'm sure when i was 12 i was listening to better stuff than that... and people voted for hitler... it's a crazy world

YannFer

The Mr Bernard Who Laughs
Battle Points: 166
I also have never sat and listen to Drake.

But the way 99% of people listen and buy music now is driven by algorithms which by design will push the sells of the already most selling ones... No wonder shit happens.

I wouldn't call this the current state of hiphop. Hip-hop was born a tiny, disregarded movement. If it would have been about figures then, it wouldn't exist today.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I never cared for Drake's music. His producer, 40, seems to be a major gear geek which is cool, but other than that Drake can suck it. Suck it hard.

Plus he's a mega douche.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
@thedreampolice how do you keep up with what releases daily as far as new Hip Hop is concerned? Asking as someone who doesn't use streaming services yet nor listens to radio (as it's sucked since late 90s onward) and only hits up YT when I do find some dope shit I ain't heard unless I do a Google search of an artist, last artist I liked a bit is Che Noir but so much dopeness gets released that it's hard to follow it all and I despise algorithmic recommendations!

Regarding Drake much of his success is his acting career and his connects to J. Prince's son early in his career

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Drake is like all these other POP stars - hype. He could make a song with nothing but fart sounds and everyone would be amazed at how amazing his amazing song is and that's it's the best mostus amazing song in the history of amazing songs.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Hype is right, like DJ Khaled the only thing he knows how to do is say DJ Khaled. Also the dude can’t handle his spice. I do not like that guy!

as far as hearing new stuff, I would certainly get a streaming service of some kind. Personally I like Apple Music but they will all do just fine. And lots of innovation has happened in hip hop since the 90’s, jay-z, Eminem, Kanye to name some of the old guard but Kendrick Lamar is absolutely amazing as is anything on Rhymesayers like P.O.S., Atmosphere, Aesop rock. Hell even Evidence is still doing cool stuff. Heck Macklemore was pretty innovative and he is not 90’s at all. I’m also a pretty big MC Frontalot fan but that’s because I’m a big nerd. I would say try not to get stuck too much in one era. Tons of amazing new stuff everyday is coming out.

Last edited:
see that transpired to be a semi healthy debate. i agree, i like alot of kendrick's work; pusha t gets a bit of commercial success, i actually liked some of the Childish Gambino stuff but i cringe when i hear him interviewed. Eminem releases something every now and then that i really dig. Freddie Gibbs got a lot of commercial success over the last year or so-i hope there's a trend away from all the garbage that's kind of dominated the commercial scene for the last 2 decades and big labels invest more in quality hip hop, can only be a good thing eh?

Lol asking this question is like pulling the pin on a grenade!
He's always been a pop R&B crossover so can't really call him hip hop. Around 2015 he started trying to do more hip hop and sound tough. Around 2017 he started trying to co-opt British grime which was really silly.
I do rate 40 as a producer like @Fade said. He's done a few Pensado's place interviews which are really cool if you're into mixing and gear. I like his style of sampling 90s R&B records, he does it really well.
I might slightly resent Drake because he dated Rihanna however.

members online