Dream DAW

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
Okay, we are talking PC here. If you all could build your dream DAW (Digital Audio Workstation), what would you put in it? Would you build it yourself (assume you knew how) or buy pre-built (costs more)? Recommend some of the best places to get parts or to get pre-built DAW's. I searched this topic and most of the information is out-dated; so, let's see what you all think...

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
ACEBEATZ said:
Maybe Digidesign 002r with Pro Tool LE but probably Yamaha 01x with Cubase SX.

check that out on www.zzounds.com

I guess what I really meant was the computer itself, not any hardware or controllers. Someone has to have some ideas on this one...

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
DueceMade Ent. said:
Yo, you ever peeped a Carilion?....
I can't find that with Google, where should I look?

Hey, I followed some links on previous threads to find pre-built DAW's from different companies, but now I can't find them. Basically I want to get a new computer, I know how to build them but am not sure I want to spend the time. Will someone point me in the right direction?

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
Copenhagen said:
I would most likely get a Carillon or similar, fully loaded and with an external hardisk, and Pro-Tools M-Box and Reason loaded in it.
Check http://www.carillonusa.com

Hey thanks, that is the exact one I was thinking of.

Fade, I may just go that route still cuz there is a lot to save by building it myself and I am pretty sure I am capable...
Here is a link for anyone thinking of doing the same:
http://computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/build.asp

A

ACEBEATZ

but

if you got enough do, you better to buy a mac, carillon make pc's.
Once you got that G5, man your in business and your good for 5 years.

I got Pcs, but as soon i can i get a Mac.

Holla Ace

TKNK

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
u known they sell a keyboard that is a computer & musicstation in one.
It somewhat like the triton but w/
10-15inch bulit in LCD screen,mini keyboard,
load your own operating system & audio programs,
all the ports on a standard computer and u can
add your own pci cards like 2 darla24 audio cards
bevel for your mouse, and more.

its aperfect DAW.

....Oh yeah IM BACK!,whats really good Fade & Cophen

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
the only problem I've seen with macs in general since the first one (I own a business working wioth both) is that macs are dead when the time runs out on the current model... with a pc, you can get more ram (up to 4 gb usually) and faster procs... if you want it to run for awhile without getting pissed at the program taking longer to load all the time, stick with a pc. In my opinion. I know a cat who bought a mac and now he's ready to throw it out and go back to pc...

just somethin to think about.

UnOwn

Sir Templeton Peck
ill o.g.
Hey, I'm a PC man; so, I'm sticking with PC. I use a PC for a living; so, I need to stick with that and I am pretty good at assesing and fixing any problems. So, we are not gonna get into another PC vs. Mac discussion here. I don't really need any external stuff. I already have a pretty good controller keyboard and soundcard with breakout box. I'm pretty satisfied with the programs I am using now as well. So, I'm just talking hardware. For example, what do you all think is the best PC processor, motherboard, amount of memory, video card (I want double-headed or triple-headed or two double-headed). Things along those lines. What would you all get if you could totally pimp a PC out? I think I'm gonna try to get as much as I can and probably build it myself. Lets say I'll probably spend $1500 at most. I appreciate any input you all got; so, hit me off with some suggestions...

A

ACEBEATZ

TKNK said:
u known they sell a keyboard that is a computer & musicstation in one.
It somewhat like the triton but w/
10-15inch bulit in LCD screen,mini keyboard,
load your own operating system & audio programs,
all the ports on a standard computer and u can
add your own pci cards like 2 darla24 audio cards
bevel for your mouse, and more.

its aperfect DAW.

....Oh yeah IM BACK!,whats really good Fade & Cophen

yeah its the Open Labs synths.

check out there

http://www.americanmusical.com/sort--Open-Labs--brand-419.html

UnOwn said:
Hey, I'm a PC man; so, I'm sticking with PC. I use a PC for a living; so, I need to stick with that and I am pretty good at assesing and fixing any problems. So, we are not gonna get into another PC vs. Mac discussion here. I don't really need any external stuff. I already have a pretty good controller keyboard and soundcard with breakout box. I'm pretty satisfied with the programs I am using now as well. So, I'm just talking hardware. For example, what do you all think is the best PC processor, motherboard, amount of memory, video card (I want double-headed or triple-headed or two double-headed). Things along those lines. What would you all get if you could totally pimp a PC out? I think I'm gonna try to get as much as I can and probably build it myself. Lets say I'll probably spend $1500 at most. I appreciate any input you all got; so, hit me off with some suggestions...

If you like Pc's then those carillon are good cuz they made only for music, and they are really quiet. Plus the rackmounted format is really nice. One thing i would do if i could spend all i want on a pc, is build a super machine with the latest pentium processor, the best motherboard, the best everything, i would overcloak to maximum, and i would buy a cooler for pc. Its a box with a door in front, that cools pc (i think its liquid cooling like for bikes). It looks like a little fridge. It keeps your pc perfectly cooled, and perfectly quiet. So you can overcloaked to max, you think of it?? But i dont remember where, look over net, i lost the link to the company that make em. It cost about 2000 $. But hey,since you got that,you got it for life and you will can overcloak your processor all your life to double their speed,crazy huh.

Holla Ace

1d3nt1tY

Loop't N Blown
ill o.g.
MSI 865PE Neo Platinum edition($90.00) with a 3.4Ghz preston core 800 Mhz FSB ($150.00)(or higher, depending on your money sitcho), 1 or 2 gigs of corsair memory ($100-200 per gig depnding on speed of memory), dual 200GB sata 150 drives runnin in a raid config (stripe) ($150 each, 300 total)... and 2 200GB UDMA100 harddrives for backup and archival of your old music, or your whole computer for that matter (125.00 each or 250 for both, BUT ONLY go seagate or western digital, the only drive manufacturers that I have never sent back to a manu)... if you game, go with a highend radeon or geforce fx card for video, both brands have dual outs... or if you don't game and you literally want three monitors for all of the cool shit we play with, get a matrox parhelia (not good for gaming)

you said you were happy with your soundcard. add the case & powersupply of your choice and you are pimpin for less than you thought. Also, you should get much better aftermarket cooling for your pc due to the extreme heat of the faster p4 - prescott architecture...

Hope this answers ya =)

huge tip here: never forsake your harddrives or your backup harddrives or memory. newer harddrives are bigger and much faster, but they lose data easier because of the speeds they spin...

TKNK

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thinks for find what i waz yapin about. 2 i dont know it cost 6grand! i dont know if its worth
all that. i can build the best multimedia computer 4 that much

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Boosted G5

Dual 2GHz PowerPC G5
• Save $300 at checkout - 8GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 8x1GB
• 2x250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
• ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
• Apple Cinema HD Display (23" flat panel)
• Apple Cinema Display (23" flat panel) + Apple DVI-to-ADC Adapter
• AirPort Extreme Card
• SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
• Fibre Channel PCI Card (w/SFP-SFP cable)
• Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English
• Mac OS X - U.S. English
• iPod - 40GB

Price $13,940.00

Xserve RAID, for backup and storage of course.

512MB+512MB cache
• 3500GB ADM (14x250GB Ultra ATA)
• Cache Battery Back-up Modules
• Apple Fibre Channel PCI Card
• AppleCare Service Parts Kit for Xserve RAID

Price $14,097.00

That was the mac part.

Some Apogee Converters.

AD-16X(2x)
DA-16X(2x)

Thats 32 I&O of 192Khz 24bit

Price $13000

TC Electronics Powercore Firewire

price $1350

All the optional plugs

Price $2580

Genelec 1031A ( set )

price $1780

last but not least.

SSL AWS900

$85k

And Im done for about $131.747,00

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Check out www.sonicalabs.com they got the dopest set up for the price IMO.
Compared to all these other companies that charge you almost 3 G's for the same thing or a lesser computer, I think it's a good deal.
ONE

Architect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I got two Dell GX620's Dual 3.2, currently 1GB of Ram, goes up to 4GB Max, Sata drive (going to get the 300GB external), new cooling system, etc.

This prebuilt system is very nice I get everything done