drum change-ups...

that kid

Keep Diggin'
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 2
could someone kindly give me a example of a drum changeup for a beat. in the showcase someone said i need more drum changeups but i'm not exactly sure what it is.... what can help me from making a beat from being also monotonus also-as you can see i'm pretty new to production-thanks for the help.....that k-i-d....see for yourself

Tim D

Bitchn' Bout IRS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
just change your drum pattern from the sequence before

ill o.g.
Just make a basic drum pattern, then change up the way your play the sounds ( Kick, snare, hi-hat).
Make it different then the last pattern, but not so different it throws the whole beat off. For example
1st pattern---->kick-snare-kick-snare 2nd pattern----->kick-kick-snare-kick-kick-snare. That would be a change up. Basically dont let your drums play the exact same way the whole beat. Change them up----->thats why its called a "Change-up". Not just the drums, either. Your whole soundscape (stringz, bass, horns, FX, whatever is playing in the background) should change somewhere in your music. Repetitive tracks dont move people. In my neck of the woods, we call those sleeperz. Cause thats what they do. they put catz to sleep.

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Well, I dindnt listen to your beats, but if you're not changing your drum pattern, well, you gotta have some kind of change up in one or more instruments. Or you can add instruments in a particular place in the song. The idea is that the beat cant stay the same pattern through the whole song... it's just boring and lasy. Listen to other's beats or commercial beats and you'll see the beat never stays the same throughout a song...

If you dont want too much change ups, you can do something like 1 pattern that you repeat 3 times and a different one (that fits the 1 pattern) after and you repeat...

So you could have:

Pattern 1 - Pattern 1 - Pattern 1 - Pattern 2 - Pattern 1 - Pattern 1 - Pattern 1 - Pattern 2 ... etc
or
Pattern 1 - Pattern 2 - Pattern 1 - Pattern 2 - Pattern 1 - Pattern 2 - Pattern 1 - Pattern 2 ... etc

(just ideas)

Even if some people, with the good MC can pull of a banger with a sleeper beat, it's way tougher and the MC gotta be really skilled...

joeburnem

Beat Enthusiast
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Have your oringinal beat going... then end out with a fill or drum roll into new pattern. Or you could mute your last measure of outgoing pattern, then bring in the new pattern.

members online