Drum Kits - Your ideal collection

CRMue

ill o.g.
If there was a perfect collection of drum samples our there, what would it have to be like to be worth spending some decent money on them? I'm talking size of collection, # of hats, snares, kicks, percussion instruments, loops, breaks, sound quality requirements. Are there copyright rules for such short sampled sounds?

Basically, describe what would be the perfect collection, and where I might find it in one place (not browsing 100 websites and sloppily organizing them myself. I'm looking for a couple dvd's of high quality organized stuff that doesn't suck).

I just picked up an MPC 500 and want to know what i should be looking for and where i could find such a collection (willing to spend $100-200).

I'll be browsing the videos in the meantime. thanks guys

CRMue

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
there is no one answer to this question. there are sample packages you can buy out there but I would suggest starting off by taking them from records or mp3's for now to get you started. remember, it's not the quality of the sound as much as the experience behind who is punching them in.

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
my fantasy drum kit is a Gig of hard nasty snapping snares wit them grimey high hats

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
i wudnt knoe about that

Its because your too cheap to be illforLife..
It is the epitome of all kits past present and future, you are virtually guaranteed to make millions in royalties and have #1 hits if you use this kit, but alas, thou shalt not know the fortunes the rest of us will enjoy.

DJ Xsinna

The Big Bang-BINO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 43
Yeah, I gotta agree with Chrono on this. Your MPC is as good as the samples you put in it and sequence. Sample some records, chop up some MP3s and see what kits you can come up with. Check out the 300 breaks CD like Sonorous suggested. Thats a real good starting point and chop up those drums and I guarantee you, you will master the art of beat making (if you keep at it). Because in doing so, your own style will come about and you'll learn what you like and what you don't like in terms of what drums you use and how they sound. Much success to you dude.

CRMue

ill o.g.
44.1 khz

Thanks yall. is 44.1 khz the sampling standard? I am wondering what the highest rate is that would not exclude any of the major samplers/sequencers.

One of my friends just gave me a couple dvd's with some really good stuff, so I'm thinking of putting together a drum collection to help lift me from my newfound mpc-owner poverty. Any recommendations on how to organize it, things you guys want, etc? Your input will help define the product

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Man if you find it tell me too cuz IMO that shit still aint out there....Seems to me the best place to look is in your own studio where you might be able to compile your own drum sounds from scratch or off vinyl. Ive been to countless sites and even purchased a few overpriced sample cds and the shits always the same...Too many cds with useless loops that I never use, not enough organic sounds with a real feel, and too many cliche sounds that I cant bare to load into my MPC.

Not tryin to be bitter but youl see exactly what im sayin once you starting hunting for sounds yourself.

Things I typically look for are:
*Organic drums - meaning Real sounding and punchy (Not typically acoustic however)
*A good assortment of Electronic and Organic samples that can compete with each other sonically.
*Collections that EXCLUDE: Loops, Stabs, Instrument sounds, Drum Breaks. (I just buy one shots, the rest is useless to me since im buying the sounds to make MY OWN BREAKS in the 1st place if you feel me?)

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
agree, there is no definite sound collection. the key to fat drums is layering anyway.
9th wonder did stress that concept very extensively.

im afraid there is only the hard painstaking way in that case. or you could sign up with
ill4life and all your creative problems will vanish :)

members online