Drum programming tips

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Boonies always dope. One of the few YouTube sensations that never seemed like a joke to me.

*I picked up the tricks that hes speakin on when I started analyzing Pete Rocks joints and Ant's from Atmosphere...I was mad intrigued by what caused that sound when I was first starting to legitimately develop my sound....Its actually some beginner stuff hes speakin on but at the same time its awesome hes breaking it down like he is cuz that sorta stuff opened up a grip of ideas for me at that time, and back then there really werent videos like this so this should be really helpful to green beatmakers lookin to expand their skill set.

His last words were great in part 2...its crazy too cuz I only just started noticing stuff like this pop up on the net that really breaks down the little/but integral secrets of how producers flip their joints to get the sound they have....and IMO that stuff really does make a difference.

W

warrior545

sounds good, there are more to that I might add,
the bass guitarist feeling is one of the best places to give the track some groove,
I prefer recording a real guitarist but if I don't have one at the same moment I will quantize using groove maps, which really add flavor to any track and any instrument.

thinking like a drum player will also help, try to watch videos of real drummers and feeling the drums will just pop up in your head in seconds.

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20

this helped me a lot lately. takes you about half an hour to learn and will improve your drum game substantially. works on pads as well

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
What I really like about this method is that the keys are touch sensitive so you get your velocities and your drum pattern at the same time versus having to program velocities for each note. This is a great way of composing your drum patterns!

mono

the invisible visible
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
definitely accelarates stuff. plus it was always a pain to "program" grooves. now it takes me minutes to come up with a decent drum loop (now aiming at seconds^^)

btw: i too liked the original quote better