drums or melodys first?

Hita_K

Dilltastic
ill o.g.
I start with the melody then the drums, if i do it the other way around i tend to make the same melody or get stuck with just drums but its whatever u prefer.

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Teknology said:
i have read that some people make their melodys first and some people make their drums first and was wondering what some of you all think would be best

i think the idea here is that you can do it anyway you want. i think it really determines if you can picture the drums/percussion in your head to lay the melody.. if not then you should lay a basic drums first. i lay a basic drums pattern first; make a melody and then tweak the drum pattern with attitude that compliments the melody.

robenea

ill o.g.
what i do is throw down a simple beat using random drum samples I do this to establish time, this enables me to create a melody much more easily. I have the dums playin and I just fiddle with my keyboard until I got something that sounds right, then I change the drum samples and start tweaking them.

however when I am using a sample, I tend to do drums after because the sample has a certain vibe to it.

ITs all up to the you, the producer, establish a process that fits you and stay with it, be consistent.

young_keyz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm coming up with the main melody first. If you listen to a lot of songs, you'll notice that the drum parts are really simple and could have easily been laid down last. I like to get my lead melody down then the bass next. Add some percussion sounds in there and goto the drums. I can lock drums into the bass line better if I can make the bass line flow to the lead melody first

KENWOP

BROOKLYN'S FINEST
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 27
i dont have an order if you are choping a sample than the drums cant go first but i guess it all depends when i sit to make a beat i never know what is gonna happen i just grab sounds and shit and mess wit um until something catches my ear whether its drums or whatever

Methodz

ill o.g.
Either way, might lay down drums first, then realise I need to start again from scratch because the breaks either dont suit the track...or many other reasons.

I

I.Q.

Usually I lay just the snare down and have the hats programmed at 1/16. Then I find a sample I like, chop it up, and lay it across the keys of my EPS-16 then i come up with a sequence that sounds right. After I got the sample layed out I go back and lay my kicks in there. After I have all that sounding right I just add a bassline and viola!

S

Svenghali

It all depends on what hits you first. I tend to start off with the music becuse I feel if it's groovin' without a beat then it'll bang when I put a beat to the track.

SketchUp

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
if its layin sumthin down, i usually start with a simple kick snare to figure out the best way to lay down the melody/sample.

W

Word-is-Bond

which ever one carries more weight in the beat

Yo! most dope beats are done for me on impulse. So which ever one wether it be Bass, Melody or Drums, thats the one that i will build around. most of the time its a sample or my keys, then the drums. but like i said its whatever sound weighs heavy in the beat.

members online