Dubbing Over Samples Good or Bad?

• beat this! voting starts in...

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Is it a smart idea when releasing samples such as on myspace or sending them on a cd to an artist to record a voice over saying your name or some bs so they can't steal the beat or something? On myspace that stuffs streaming so I don't think that would be a concern but would it look unprofessional if you sent an mc your beats with a voice over on em (provided you have never met this person face to face before).

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Most people call it tagging.

It really depends on where you're sending them, if its to a big label there probably aint much chance of getting jacked. Some rapper around the way wont give two shits.

If you copyright your work you wont need worry about anything.

~NW~

O

open mind

i guess u have to take the risk. u dont want to start a bussiness relationship without trust.i think it would sound unprofessional to put voicetags over it!

O

open mind

no OM the first rule is dont trust anybody...Trust me on this :D...
Do what you want .., me? If I dont know you??? Im taggin em...
well spoken from you i guess u are right since u runnin your own bussiness and u should have lots of experience with them fuckin sharks out there that tryna steal.i just thought and still think that starting out without trust bussiness cant work.i had this from a book or sumtin.thats where RISK comes into play.no risk no fun.but on an internet level it could not hurt to use them voicetags.but even then they can steal your ideas and concept of a track u feel me?

to make it short u neva can be on da safe site if someone wanna steal they can even with voicetags.ask TIMBALAND about it lol.tough i respect timbo and still think he is dope even if he steals a whole song.but thats another story on another topic hehehe.

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
this guy just keeps creating threads like there's no tomorrow.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
personally, i would never tag a beat ever, sounds shite.....but then i dont really care if some one jacks a beat, all publicity is good publicity, then you flame the muther fucking biter, and slam the net with your "burden of truth," the time dated files, the original samples, the chopped versions, the automation patterns etc.....might not hold up legally but would damage some lying biters rep no ends, and if they have no rep anyway, then i dont matter.....on an EP im doing, imma put some plain beats on peeps to take for free anyway....PZ

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah sorry for the posting all at once i just wanted to get some basic questions answered cuz i didnt kno anyone could either answer or would be willing to answer em

sYgMa

Making head bangers!!!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 26
Well, you found the place... and actually, your questions are not dumb, so... that's why no one is acting up...

Man, I still remember that guy who asked what a snare was.... whoa!

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
when posting on the net, i think its a good idea.

No matter how secure a site seems, any file uploaded to any webserver CAN and WILL be downloaded.

first of alll, the file has to be hosted somewhere right?

and also, I'm an expert at ... maneuvering things off the internet

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i dont have any money so i dont think i ll be hitting up anyone anytime soon lol and as far as manuevering things off the internet I will bet you can't do it from myspace, they change the format of the files so they play on their player and theyre streaming. although it may be possible the same way u can steal files off youtube with firefox hm.. have you ever done it on myspace (getting songs off of it that is)?

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i used to tag my beats through out .... not anymore .. my feeling is that it hurts u more than it helps u ... alot of dudes(rappers,/artists/A&RS) just really dont want tags... u also figure alot of cats like to take the track and actually record onto it before they even buy ur beat .... industry headz hate that shit when the beats are tagged... i put a lil shout in the begining of the beat and let thats it... i think people are overprotective of their beatz in general... ive had someone jack my beat and rap over it with the tag still on it! Made it to a successful mixtape! ..

Alot of guys that put tags all in their beats and are overprotective of their music are the same ones that have never even sold them or do not sell many on regualr basis .. those always seem to be ones that are screaming about being jacked and copywrights and this and that... I dont tag my beats but I am carfeul who i give them to. honestly if someone wanted to jack ur beat they could do it regardless if the tags on it or not. I am not saying u shouldnt take steps to protect ur music. I am just sayin that in order to make connects/sell beats/ get exposure people have to hear your music.. preferably without u shouting ur name over the beat evry five seconds!

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
personally, i would never tag a beat ever, sounds shite.....but then i dont really care if some one jacks a beat, all publicity is good publicity, then you flame the muther fucking biter, and slam the net with your "burden of truth," the time dated files, the original samples, the chopped versions, the automation patterns etc.....might not hold up legally but would damage some lying biters rep no ends, and if they have no rep anyway, then i dont matter.....on an EP im doing, imma put some plain beats on peeps to take for free anyway....PZ

well said all publicity is good publicity...

O

open mind

i used to tag my beats through out .... not anymore .. my feeling is that it hurts u more than it helps u ... alot of dudes(rappers,/artists/A&RS) just really dont want tags... u also figure alot of cats like to take the track and actually record onto it before they even buy ur beat .... industry headz hate that shit when the beats are tagged... i put a lil shout in the begining of the beat and let thats it... i think people are overprotective of their beatz in general... ive had someone jack my beat and rap over it with the tag still on it! Made it to a successful mixtape! ..

Alot of guys that put tags all in their beats and are overprotective of their music are the same ones that have never even sold them or do not sell many on regualr basis .. those always seem to be ones that are screaming about being jacked and copywrights and this and that... I dont tag my beats but I am carfeul who i give them to. honestly if someone wanted to jack ur beat they could do it regardless if the tags on it or not. I am not saying u shouldnt take steps to protect ur music. I am just sayin that in order to make connects/sell beats/ get exposure people have to hear your music.. preferably without u shouting ur name over the beat evry five seconds!

word!