Dubstep should not be called "DUB"

JaxxForever

ILLIEN
Dubstep is not called dub, or should ever be shortened to dub. Dub as a genre or sub genre of reggae has been about since arguably the 60's, and to be fair to the genre, most dubstep does not even come close to the brilliance of true dub music.

This is a real Dub and not anyone can appreciate this kind of music.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Although I agree with you, if you look back to the 80's, almost every 12" that came out had a "Dub" version... if you could call them that. I'm not a big fan of dubstep, but like certain works by "The Bug"

Some good shit by The Bug:

Those songs make me want to break someone's face in, and I'm a peaceful man.

And back to some old fashioned dub:

I asked my friend about dub and dubplates and what it was all about the other day, as I was a bit confused.
But I think the short version is that dubs or dubplates, are new versions(remixes) of an old classic riddim. My friend has a vast collection of dubplates which he has paid for, to have the frienz konnection name in. I have remixed a few of these myself and have a couple dnb/jungle versions on the way. Im gonna start experimenting with the dubstep too.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Well, a dubplate is an actual medium. I own only one dubplate, it's mid-80's Prince Jammy dubplate which contains two unreleased songs from Wayne Smith and Leroy Smart. So basically a dubplate was a cheap way to get exclusive songs or mixes of both new/old songs. Nowadays people sell bootleg dubplates on e-bay using MP3's saying they're original dubplates from the 70's/80's. Lots of scammers...

A 'Dub' was a version of a song, some were more instrumental, others had more effects on them.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Early dubstep, not the skrillex, like had the same layout as dub - slow breaks with deep basslines and a tad bit of guitar/vocal fed to the dubmixer who orchestrates the whole. Good dub breathes loads of headroom, or at least sound like its drum and bass in a huge space.

That being said, the reasoning of TS is why people invent new ways and subgenres since they cant except that multiple influences could concern ONE genre.

Anyway, big up to king tubby...nuff said

members online