Dusty Finger comps

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I like em good to listen to and mad interesting sounds from a beatmakers perspective.

how do u lot feel about em? by the way im saying use comps plus other shit u find im not advising anyone to rely purely on comps for all ur samples.

DjDelay

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I know alot of producers hate on people who use sample compilations, but for me personally i don't really care where the sample comes from, if it's dope - it's dope and it doesn't really matter where it came from

Just aslong as people ain't frontin and rehashing old loops and samples that have been used a million times i think they're cool and can definitely save alot of time. But personally if i ever use a comp i'd definitely use it in a more subtle type of way because god knows i'm sick of hearing "impreach the president" or "darkest light"

So overall i think they're cool, they slightly take the "digging" element out of beat making but they're a good resource for begginers and help build a nice library

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
I agree that it does'nt matter where the sample comes from as long as it's dope. Comps are okay, but I just love that feeling that you get when you are at that old record flea market or shop and you just happen to find that one cut that moves you. It's like finding a diamond in a dark tunnel. That feeling comes only from digging.
ONE

zone

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i cant bring myself to spend $15-20 for a comp. i could get a cart full of records at goodwill for that.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You could get a cart full of records but 95% might be wackness and not usable whereas on comps u know ur gonna get alot of the types of sounds that are useful in a hip hop sampling context.

zone

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
JPeg said:
You could get a cart full of records but 95% might be wackness and not usable whereas on comps u know ur gonna get alot of the types of sounds that are useful in a hip hop sampling context.

if i wanted samples that fit dustykid or soulman's narrow views of what's useful in a hip-hop sampling context, i would buy a drum kit at a record store and loosen the heads.

to bring home 95% whackness, you would have to be completely ignorant of the musicians and labels of the era. seperating the wheat from the chaff can be done fairly successfully with even superficial knowledge of the music.

if you can't be bothered to dig, why bother with vinyl at all? i don't get this attitude. why not just buy some zips from banginbeats? it would be much less expensive and time consuming than dealing with crates of records and all of the rituals that come along with sampling from wax.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
zone said:
if i wanted samples that fit dustykid or soulman's narrow views of what's useful in a hip-hop sampling context, i would buy a drum kit at a record store and loosen the heads.

to bring home 95% whackness, you would have to be completely ignorant of the musicians and labels of the era. seperating the wheat from the chaff can be done fairly successfully with even superficial knowledge of the music.

if you can't be bothered to dig, why bother with vinyl at all? i don't get this attitude. why not just buy some zips from banginbeats? it would be much less expensive and time consuming than dealing with crates of records and all of the rituals that come along with sampling from wax.

First of all have you listened to any dusty finger comp end to end? most will agree that lack of musical variety is not an issue with the dusty fingers comps.
Its good music that is so rare that u probably will neva find the originals of the songs so why deny ur self of a good source of music and samples?

to address the issue of lack of knowledge leads to poor record choice i agree but (see thread above jewl/crap ratio)

I grab comps when i see em for cheap cos i know there is gonna be something interesting on there.

So in summary I DONT dig only for comps I've got about 3 comps out of 90 records. My point is why rule it out completely?

juzblazwun

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I have a few of them, they're OK. I must admit that they do have a lot of already use loops and samples. I just try to look for something esle or try to flip it a different way.

N

nevaspend

zone said:

ressurecting yet another old thread because i think the previous is an unfair statement. to give you a better idea about how DK and Phil compile songs for their comps ...

Dusty Kid said:
We look for extremely hard to find Funky ass joints. If it’s funky and is not too common we consider it. But if it’s Funky and Obscure then most likely it ends up on one of our records. We search by a Variety of things including Composers, Musicians, Years, Label, Gender, etc. When we are listening to Records, if we hear something that catches our ear we record it straight into the Computer to archive so we don't forget about it later on. We archive Thousands and Thousands of raw Obscure songs that are Future Dusty Tracks and when free time is available we restore as many as possible.

I feel everything we select for our comps is Dope in one way or another.
There are so many comps out today and 85% of them are really wack to me. They are probably nice to other people but most of them are just too Happy & Poppy for me to comprehend. A big part of our Job is listening to other people’s comps and making sure we are not releasing something someone else released recently.

We know we did a good job when we drop something on a Dusty and everyone is trying to find the original.

Soulman said:
For my Soulman CDs, I just played stuff that I thought was dope and also different from what others were putting on their cds. Hard to do when so many people are doing comps and mix cds nowadays. I tried to mix it up with a variety of stuf that's been sampled and also stuff that hasn't been touched yet.
My main focus, though, wasn't as much the records I played but the way I put the whole thing together. As I've stated in interviews before, I viewed each cd I did as if I was recording an original album. I always tried to do stuff that most people weren't doing, like coming up with themes to tie the whole cd together. "Drugs" featured bits taken from old drug awareness records, in which the dialogue was about actual drug abuse but also could've been about records depending on how you look at it. "Philladelphia Beat Mission" had sound bites from a radio interview I did as interludes between each track. I just always tried to do some different things to seperate my cds from all the others out there.
Ultimately, though, every cd I have ever made has always been for my own listening enjoyment first.

so its not really about their views on what's "useful in hip hop". these guys personify deep diggin'. you gotta look beyond the comps.

Bobby Ffitch

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i would never use a comp, because it seems like digging is the most fun part of beats, to me.

but to each his own. i dont care if you buy comps and use them, if you flip them differently and chop them crazily. but if you are looping..... just think that almost everyone else who buys that comp will loop the tightest tracks too... idk jus thinking outloud.