EAst Coast Coming back!!! to NYC at least ...

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
4th quarter has been IT for the east coast .. kanye (well we will claim him as east coast lol),american gangster,free,ghost... all making dope albums ....as well as hot underground shit poppin off ala the busta dilla tape, i feel we got our swagger back a lil bit. im not a south hater i love and produce southern music as well but brooklyn is starting to feel like brooklyn again as im walkin through the streets. For awhile i thought I was living on snapvile street in crunktown, atl. Ive been hearing more east coast artists on the radio as of late as welll which is good considering the fact I FUCKING LIVE IN NEW YORK! lol.... hopefully we can build on this momentum and continue to keep supporting our own artists. again not hating on the south, but at the same time its been a minute since ine heard an east coast presence in the streets as heavy as it is right now. And thats a shame cuz i live in bedstuy the home of 2 of the greatest rappers ever.

Mikemaster G

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm not blaming u
You're right, there is some tight shit coming from NYC of course(u're right about kanye, he does feel like in belong to the east)
and when u said about some ghost, what the new shit he got out now?

Vice

9ine 2o 5ive Live
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 71
It's weird cause being a Westcoast native, I always loved Eastcoast hip hop. It is more in it's original form and for the most part seems more pure. Jay and 50 have been keepin up with the south music on the radio, but It's good to hear more artist stepping up with dope music.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I liked it when east coast rocked their ish, west coast rocked their ish and the south rocked theirs. Ish went down hill when they started all this coast vs. coast bs anyway. Just another plot to put brother against brother because hip hop was getting too big. Maybe this time around, instead of it being a competition, hopefully it will bring back unification.

MOF

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
styles p, budden, saigon have/had been creating a big buzz too

come to think of it, 2007 was a real good year for hip hop

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Word is right.
Buku you kiilled it on that Cops track from 2good, nice work on that.

Regrading the resurgence, it's definitely happening. It's not just NY either, look out for Philly, serious fire is about to drop (I know cause I'm sittin on the masters LOL). Plus all these other cats from the rest of the country (edan/flylo/blackmilk), things are really starting to improve quickly.

Shit is just gonna get better and better, the next 12-18 months should be seeing a resurgence of dope creative funky shit....

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I don't know man....I will admit that a lot of new albums are coming out of the East right now. The thing that I think will be a problem is that it's nobody new. The new cats that everybody has been waiting on don't have release dates and when they have them they never come to pass. Albums are being released by previously successful artist but if the numbers (album) sales don't come "game over". Most these guys spent a pretty penny budget wise. Ain't like these dudes are going to be dropping albums every six months. Some of there projects have been in the works for years now. There just all coming out around the same time. Free debuted at 42 and quickly drop'd to 84 with only 50k sold. Jigga debuted at 17 and has been steadily dropping. He only brought in 50k last week. I don't think the Wu is going to appeal to the masses so they won't be on the charts long. I actually think Ghost will do better than most these other albums. A resurgence from the East is welcomed but honestly, if we don't see some new faces and hear some new music I think it'll just be a whole lot of wishful thinking. In the end it could signal more bad than good IMO. It's cool to mix these older acts in with the new but the problem is there's no new ya feel me? And non of these new albums besides Jigga has had a single in rotation. That's never good. What will keep the name circulating so albums sales can pick up if you don't have a couple hot singles? I don't know....I'll withhold my final judgment on whether or not things are picking back up for the East, and Hip Hop in general, til the spring. If non of these albums are bumping in the trunk by then its a wash!

Let Us Pray though!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
I don't know man....I will admit that a lot of new albums are coming out of the East right now. The thing that I think will be a problem is that it's nobody new. The new cats that everybody has been waiting on don't have release dates and when they have them they never come to pass. Albums are being released by previously successful artist but if the numbers (album) sales don't come "game over". Most these guys spent a pretty penny budget wise. Ain't like these dudes are going to be dropping albums every six months. Some of there projects have been in the works for years now. There just all coming out around the same time. Free debuted at 42 and quickly drop'd to 84 with only 50k sold. Jigga debuted at 17 and has been steadily dropping. He only brought in 50k last week. I don't think the Wu is going to appeal to the masses so they won't be on the charts long. I actually think Ghost will do better than most these other albums. A resurgence from the East is welcomed but honestly, if we don't see some new faces and hear some new music I think it'll just be a whole lot of wishful thinking. In the end it could signal more bad than good IMO. It's cool to mix these older acts in with the new but the problem is there's no new ya feel me? And non of these new albums besides Jigga has had a single in rotation. That's never good. What will keep the name circulating so albums sales can pick up if you don't have a couple hot singles? I don't know....I'll withhold my final judgment on whether or not things are picking back up for the East, and Hip Hop in general, til the spring. If non of these albums are bumping in the trunk by then its a wash!

Let Us Pray though!

Very well spoken, with a 15% drop in CD sales, its gonna be hard for anyone to make a come back...with that said...

and Drama.....I'ma be that new shit from the east coast, "YOU KNOW"!

This is what we're gonna need, somebody to step up with something fresh and new. Benny, it's all gonna depend on you! Do your thing fo realz!

MOF

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Ortiz spitz that hard hard but he's likable like Pun was.....Pap......I don't feel the same about him even though I have every damn song he released underground and on the mix tape tip. If Ortiz don't make big noise when Dre finally releases him I know shits dead. Time to find a new passion!

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
drama said it perfectly aint nobody new in the east the only new cat i can think of is saigon

and saigon said he's trying to retire from rapping...

i'm waiting on busta's next album. i don't think anyone can say Big Bang was a weak album in and of itself-- amazing production, well-rounded subject matter, fresh delivery. people's only gripe ive heard is that they dont like the new busta...but what's an artist without progression?

i think what's also gonna help is that the snap shit is kind of on the wane. the south is capable of some amazing music (i'm thinking organized noise, ludacris)...they just need to come with it to stay on top. in my opinion, the cash money guys are doing more harm than good when they come out with a song like 100 million dollars (don't believe me? watch the video). the sound on that track is so '01.

im also waiting for the west coast to stand the f up. as far as underground goes here, there's a mix of the gangsta stuff, some really promising stuff coming out of L.A. (http://myspace.com/custommadehiphop) that kind of has an east coast vibe to it. these guys are dope and theyre about to put a record out on baby grande. we'll see.

as far as papoose, he is wicked, but he got dropped from his label on some dumb shit. dj drama tried to spin it like "we're glad we're finally out of there" but i donno. i definitely would cop nacirema dream if it ever comes out though.

members online