Ebonics, a real language?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Hey that's pretty interesting. "When African slaves attempted to learn English, their native languages got in the way." Hmmmm.

B

BeatTRibe

Ebonics is a dialect of English, but that doesn't make it any less valid.

capkom

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I just like that our language gets updated. I don't see any other race with new words out every year. Let a rapper say something new on a hit song and watch how quick people use it.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

The French do: Verlan.

You take a word and say it backwards: 'man' becomes 'nam', 'woman' becomes 'namow'.

Then it gets more complex: take a word like 'police'...if you flip it, it becomes 'ecilop', which is kind of hard to say. So, instead, they just flip the syllables while they keep their order: 'lopice', for example.

And for extra fun, they may take that word and flip it, then drop a letter or two to make it more compact: 'cipol', or maybe 'ceepol'.

Anyone who speaks French will know that 'meuf', 'zarbi', 'and 'ceuf' are Verlanese for 'femme', 'bizarre' and 'flic' (woman, crazy and cop).

These are all common words in youth culture over there, maybe Pug and Fade can testify for the Quebequois?

Verlan, by the way, is 'l'envers' backwards... : )

Take care,

Nick

PS: Read this:

http://french.about.com/library/vocab/bl-verlan.htm

B

BoogieMan

Ebonics is the language of the young urban street dwellaz. Born in the 70's, brought up in the 80's and refined in the 90's, Ebonics is a way for young urban kids to communicate in the subculture that we like to call Hip Hop. Sure, they been doing it for years before it was called Ebonics. Back then it was called Jive, but leave it up to the Hip Hop generation to make it their own and transform it into a whole new street language, so complex that it's even taught in some schools around the country. What makes it so great is that it's being transformed every day into something new. And its popularity has and will continue to make a heavy impact on the way we, as Americans, speak to eachother. And not only Americans, but everyone. Think about it, you go to Japan and see those kids who dont understand a word of English, but you say "Whatup dawg", and suddenly you're on the same level.

I would love to be around 100 years from now to see how much our language has changed. Maybe then, there won't be languages like English, Spanish, French, Chinese, Japanese... maybe there will just be one language... a universal language. And thin about it. We were the founders, the pioneers of it.

PEACE

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Vitaminman, maybe in school they mentioned Verlan, but I was probably too busy in the back drawing on the desk.

You'd have to be in Quebec to feel the whole slang vibe there, but I get sick of it after a while.

C

Copenhagen

Originally posted by capkom
I just like that our language gets updated. I don't see any other race with new words out every year. Let a rapper say something new on a hit song and watch how quick people use it.

Our language? Race? Don't you mean nationality or culture and ta-da-da-daaah...not only black people speak ebonics anymore ;)
Apart from that, I know that both the Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, German, French, and English (UK) language regularly gets new slang/words too, (mostly within the Hip-Hop culture and later copied by others)...

capkom

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I HEAR YOU COPENHAGEN, TAKE IT HOW YOU WANT IT, BUT IF YOUR ON THIS SITE YOUR THE SAME RACE AS ME. I'M STILL THINKING USA ONLY, I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW HOW BIG HIP-HOP WAS WORLDWIDE. I KNOW EVERYONE HAS SLANG, AND I HAVEN'T BEEN AROUND THE WORLD TO TO SEE HOW HIP HOP LIVES IN OTHER COUNTRIES. SPEAKING FOR THE U.S., (AND SINCE THE THREAD IS ABOUT EBONICS) I WAS JUST THINKING FROM A BLACK POINT OF VIEW.

milLion

buildin'
ill o.g.
i never really thought about ebonics being a language -- i just speak the way i know how to communicate with others -- heh

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It's a real language for me atleast..I kno that one among others. I think some take it too far..or some take it as a joke.

O

OneNineBlock

shit better not speak any ebonics around innercity hood or he might call u a chump and say ur trying to be hard core....but newayz i think ebonics isnt a language its juss slang big L broke it down in his song best but i donno i guess if u are speaking slang and other people who know ebonics understandit that does make it sort of a language cuz whut is tha definition of language ne wayz....means to be speaking a certian dielect that other people understand and shit i guess its juss a language for those who understand it but fuck it im out peace

C

Copenhagen

Talking on the subject...it would nice to one day understand one of your posts OneNineBlock's...writing proper english would be appreciated...I see no reason to write like you do...I'm sure you have learned in school how to write correctly.

inrctyhoodmusic

Muzik Militant
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Originally posted by Copenhagen
Talking on the subject...it would nice to one day understand one of your posts OneNineBlock's...writing proper english would be appreciated...I see no reason to write like you do...I'm sure you have learned in school how to write correctly.

If OnenineBlock wasn't a chump he'd be writing correctly.....He needs to stop acting other than what he is ....He's a good little school boy from a good background and a good home he also happens to be a cyber Thug with devlopmental problems ........ I WOULDN'T PISS IN HIS MOUTH IF HIS TOUNGE WAS ON FIRE

Sorry about that one fade!!!I couldn't let that showcase thing he did go like that......He didn't respond like a man he waited until just before you closed the Thread so I couldn't respond But it seems as if he's dumb enough to call me out in a open thread..........I had to do it.......You wont get anymore trouble out of me with this guy anymore....it' will be handled in pm if he's man enough to accept them...Once again sorry Fade