Edm Bass

I usually layer a saw wave over a sine wave then work from there.
The saw wave is more for the high end bass, and the sine is for the deep sub.
You can then layer some more like a square wave.
A couple subtractors will do this fine with minimum cpu cost.
If cpu use isnt an issue then roll with the thor.... its a beast. And much easier to have 3 simultaneous waveforms syncronised and filtered in one rack instrument.

MitchHolmes

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Im not sure which sound I want to emulate. not much into EDM but I do want to branch out so im curious to see what people are doing to get me started on the right foot. I understand that EDM is so wide and so many sub division of the music!

Bugsy

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 206
I usually layer a saw wave over a sine wave then work from there.
The saw wave is more for the high end bass, and the sine is for the deep sub.
You can then layer some more like a square wave.
A couple subtractors will do this fine with minimum cpu cost.
If cpu use isnt an issue then roll with the thor.... its a beast. And much easier to have 3 simultaneous waveforms syncronised and filtered in one rack instrument.

Curious tho, where do you get your waves? and how do you differentiate them?
I havent got a clue to how synths work except for the basics.
I mostly loop something, but i know there must be more science to it?

lol, nah. The oscillators in a synth have different wave patterns.. SAW, TRIANGLE, SQUARE, SINE etc.
Combining the various oscillators can create some interesting effects as the various waves combine and cancel each other out where they cross. Didnt mean wave as in a wave file.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
oh man synth sound design is a DEEP field that is lots of fun, but takes time and practice. If you want to start making EDM I would say spend the next week listening to as much of it as you can and start to get a feel for what you like and don't like. Personally I feel that EDM is like hip-hop in that either you get it or you don't. Only make music you love!