Empty Room. Advice on turning it into a home studio? On a limited budget?

H.Quality

ILLIEN
Alright so basically I'm what youd call a 'bedroom producer.' On one hand I like having everything I need within two feet of me when I wake up. On the other, its affecting my sleep. Think about it, 11PM, just finished a huge mix, then trying to settle down and sleep in the same room you did everything? Impossible. So I'm setting everything up in the next room.

I want to get it perfect though, so I have a couple of questions.

1) CABLES!!!! How do I keep these things organized??

2) Sound treatment. I'm a 16 year old kid that makes beats and raps. Do I really need to treat the room for sound? I don't have 20 Grand lying around, and I don't believe that putting eggshells on my walls would really make a huge difference. Or would they? Advice please.

3) Right now, I have a laptop, audio interface, and midi keyboard. The basics. Where I'm coming up short, is my monitors/headphones. I use cheap(ish) sounding PC speakers, and uncomfortable headphones. I trust my ears. I get a good result. I think. Is there really any reason to upgrade, considering that I don't have the budget to REALLY go up very far?

4) Colors!!! Do you feel that some colors make you more productive than others, where some just set the mood to kick back and relax?

5) Desks. Oh my god. What I'm using now is embarrassing. But yeah. Here it is
35237d1338470926-empty-room-advice-turning-into-home-studio-limited-budget-tumblr_m4vqqrqmhf1rxos2xo2_500.png

I can't afford a lot, should I prioritize a better desk though? Seriously, my current set up is REALLY uncomfortable to sit at.

Thats about everything. Hope I get some replies to this, I really need some hep haha

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Maybe perfect is a bit farfetched, having some decent nearfields would be a good reason set the room up properly. With just pc speakers i wouldnt bother as much about placement or room treatmen.

Cables, you dont have much of em so just seperate powercords from the rest and place adapters away from gear.

Color < daylight

and Yes! get a desk lol

The importance of good monitors cannot be overstated.
And a good audio interface.
If you have good ears, you want to feed them with reliable information.

But over the years I have found that music production and cheap dont go hand in hand.
Building a production studio is far cheaper than building a post production studio. Unless you are really worried about mixing and mastering your own work(which I think it would probably be far too soon to be worrying about that), just concentrate on the production aspect.

Things that are important....

GOOD MONITORS,
GOOD INTERFACE,
A GOOD MIC/PREAMP FOR RECORDING,
A MIDI CONTROLLER (I use a keyboard)
A COMFORTABLE CHAIR/DESK(You will spend many hours making music, make sure you are comfortable.)

ess vinyl

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
monitors are probably the most important thing to have with a minimal setup, you can get used monitors for like half the price go with at least mackies or events. sound treatment is a big plus, im gonna take a good guess and assume your not doing this in a huge room so bass traps would probably be on the top of the priority list regarding treatment. they really aren't that expensive. but yeah my advice is to get good monitors first before anything

members online