Everybody is a producer now (article)

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I also gotta say that more gear is better, not because you can use them all but to have an option to choose in different spectra of sound resources. Like a motif doesnt sound like a triton, a wurlitzer wont be the same as rhodes or a moog vs arp'. You can get a bassline out of everything but in character its not always the one you're looking for so with a few different brands of monosynths you already have a big palette of different bass resources. You learn and remember these differences as a preference of sound, that the reason you want to buy any instrument but you wont always put it to use because then it becomes a part of your signature. So more is better, more options to choose from for what instruments etc are concerned, this way your productions always sound nothing like the last beat you've done.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
mr mello said:
I also agree with what formant said about using your head. You really have to use your discretion as far as what you believe to be true and as far as the advice you take. I mean I'm 21 and I've been making beats for 3 years. . . now should I really be taking advice on how to make it in the industry from a 30 year old guy whos been making beats for ten years, who is in the same situation I am in economically . . .? In the same vain, should I really believe that after 3 years of making beats, that I've learn't all there is to know about making music.. ?

Like the article implies, you have to constantly check yourself. . .

You shouldnt be intimidated by anyone that would give you useful advice in this craft if so then I dont know what to tell you......but i take advice from 20 year olds and 30+ year olds just to show you that I do not care who gives me the advice if its good...it doesnt matter about them being in the same economic situation this is music, the fact of that cat being old or never made it is actually irrelevant IMO ..its the useless advice that you should discount but anyone can give you useless advice..anyhow....main point is...you are only using what you see and assume....just because someone is not all over scratch, or got credits on albums or whatever your bar for success is.....does not translate into they cant tell you anything....now if they are telling you how to get in the industry then maybe that is somewhat impossible.......you can go through all of the right motions and follow what they tell to do in the books, conferences etc.....in the end, your biggest asset to make it are timing, politics playing to your advantage and also your music.........all of those have to happen, any one of them can play to your disadvantage though...my advice is take all advice and filter it....start networking with producers....beyond here...if you can....go find some producers that have credits and have them help you....that is my advice.......you want to know the number one thing that usually will play against you?....politics.....yes your music has to pass too....but knowing the inner workings is essential and to get that information....no you do not need to be a platinum producer to learn that and share it....LOL....that's business baby nothing to do with music....