Exclusive rights+Leases...

Precog

I Phantom
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 10
Ok, im starting to look at selling beats on soundclick or something. Ive been looking at everyones sites and everyone seems to be leasing beats or selling the exclusive rights.

I was just thinking though, if you sold the exclusive rights to a beat, i doubt the mc would find out if you sold the same beat again. So does contracts need to be signed or something to prevent this? Also if you lease a beat, you wont really know if they go off and put it on an albulm that they sell.
To be honest, I think it would be easier to just ask for money for the beat, then they can do whatever they want with it, and ill do whatever i want to do with it. Sorry if these questions are stupid, im young and still new to this.

L. Soul

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Well is your work copyrighted? If they go and use it on an album and you have it copyrighted and only sold as a lease you can sue em. However, as to you reselling an exclusive beat that just depends on how honest a business man you are. But yes, you can use contracts.

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
As L.Soul said, you have legal documents proving you have it leased. Now unless this artist makes some serious money off of their album or your beat, sueing them wont be worth the price of lawyers and all that paperwork stuff. It's not worth sueing if they don't have the money to pay. If they do have the money to pay then they wouldn't have leased the beat from you, they would have asked for exclusive rights.

Hope this helps,

Peace

members online