Facebook, Privacy, and Your Life

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Recently facebook has taken alot of flack for making your city, interests, activities, and some posts completly public, Open, and web searchable.

Site Founder had this to say:

"When I got started in my dorm room at Harvard, the question a lot of people asked was 'why would I want to put any information on the Internet at all? Why would I want to have a website?'
"And then in the last 5 or 6 years, blogging has taken off in a huge way and all these different services that have people sharing all this information. People have really gotten comfortable not only sharing more information and different kinds, but more openly and with more people. That social norm is just something that has evolved over time.

"We view it as our role in the system to constantly be innovating and be updating what our system is to reflect what the current social norms are.

"A lot of companies would be trapped by the conventions and their legacies of what they've built, doing a privacy change - doing a privacy change for 350 million users is not the kind of thing that a lot of companies would do. But we viewed that as a really important thing, to always keep a beginner's mind and what would we do if we were starting the company now and we decided that these would be the social norms now and we just went for it."

One of the many sites that are writing about it. also has the interview:

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/facebooks_zuckerberg_says_the_age_of_privacy_is_ov.php

Just keeping the IllFam informed... thoughts?

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I don't know what the big deal is really. If you're not comfortable with how Facebook handles your private information, then just don't put it online! Pictures of you partying with 3 hookers in a hotel room when you're married - don't put that online, it's simple.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
True but facebook has become a identity online these days. Its where friends hang out when they cant get together. ALOT of information is being leaked. Not to mention alot of liberties are being taken. Its also not widespread warning about who actually sees your info. Its a really big change, for a big group of people with no inside explaination (on facebooks part).

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
I was just choppin it up with a friend of mine the other day about this exact topic.
He was trippin on the fact that people/companies could get a hold of your private info so easily through social networks like Facebook....My response was basically the same as Fades: I told him that if its something you dont want people to know about then dont share it first and foremost. Then I explained that you should be aware that anything you put out on the internet whether its on an encrypted network or not is basically considered public domain, so in the end you should only upload and share things that you know wont come back to bite you in the ass at a later date. Theres just too many ways for people to get a hold of pics, music, info, etc. so whether you clicked the little box that says "keep private" or not - make sure to only share something that your comfortable with.

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
The funny thing is that you all think you are safe at all. Seriously facebook is the least of your worries. I can't give you details but there is programs that I could look up your ex girlfriend from 5 years ago. All kinds of stuff. This stuff predates facebook by years.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
The funny thing is that you all think you are safe at all. Seriously facebook is the least of your worries. I can't give you details but there is programs that I could look up your ex girlfriend from 5 years ago. All kinds of stuff. This stuff predates facebook by years.

Hook me up!!!

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Honestly I can't give any details because of the parties involved, but it is SUPER easy for a company to get your in depth info. From any peace of info name, address, phone I can get everything else SS#, old girl friends, employers, old addresses, anything. Its pretty wild. I did not believe it until I looked up myself and it was like holy crap!

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
LMAO

1. The CIA doesn't need facebook to know everything about you, does anyone here really think that?

2. What about your birth certificate, social security number, drivers license and so on...do you think thats not in a database somewhere?

3. Any major purchases, cars, homes, boats or whatever have ALL your information on file in a database somewhere. They have your bank account information, your address, everything!

4. What about your job? They not only have ALL of your info, they have info on your peeps and friends..."List 3 references...", "in case of emergency contact?...","what is your relation to ..."

5. Radio Shack, Circut City and many others started asking you for your phone numbers when you made a purchase. Your phone # is associated with your address, everybody in your household, including your pets, your bills, EVERYTHING!

The CIA has access to all your info, like dp said this ish predates facebook for decades. You can limit your visibility but noone is totally invisible.

To me this ish is like someone decided it would be cool to create this sort of mass hysteria over your personal info. Unless youre a threat to the security of our country who gives a ish what the CIA, FBI, IRS has? Its not them that most of us should be worried about...its cats that steal your identity that you should be worried about and most of them dont have access to your personal files. Those of you who put your truely personal ish on the internet are asking for someone to jack your ish! Its not complicated...lol

EDIT* Hell it would blow your mind what Fade could tell you about yourself just from coming on this site..lol

booya_nang

A breath of fre$h air!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 76
I've never really gotten into any of these social networking sites, I don't see why everyone's so addicted to them to be honest. I'm still old school, who needs a facebook when I have msn messenger? lol

members online