Fast HitHats

Soulja

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
How do I get that fast hithat rythm using protools? I'm sure this is a stupid question but I'm new to this beat makin ish.

Bishop

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
I believe you want an open and closed hi hat with the open set on the 1 beat, in quantised 8th notes to the end of the bar. The closed hi hat sequence would be placed at the 2 beat with quantised 8th notes to the end of the bar.

These two together will make it sound like there is a drummer playing fast hi-hat 16th notes. This is common in buildups during a verse into a chorus, or simply used in a chorus.

Sincerely,
God

light

Producer
ill o.g.
set the grid for 16th note and put one every note.
or you can use what GOD said and put a hihat every other note starting on the one then on a different track put one every other note starting on the 2 beat. this two track thing helps cause you can turn them to different volumes and get that shuffle sound.

place a hihat at the one. then make sure your hilite is set so it snaps to the grid. then hilight from the begining to the start of the second note. then press control-d (PC) seven times. you will end up with 8 hihats. then hilight the whole thing and duplicate again. presto.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Also, a note... randomise the velocities of the hi-hats in a 10 unit range, this will make the hi-hat sound more "realistic."

Sincerely,
God

light

Producer
ill o.g.
How do you randomise the velocities of the hihats in pro-tools. do you need samples of random velocity recorded hihats or do is there somthing that does that in the software. what is a 10 unit range?

members online