Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Wish I knew what you guys were talking about

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
For grimey composed stuff i usually use Minor triad progessions, i may pull out a I IV V progession now and again alot of times will invert the traids to and play the 3rd in left hand root note(2 octives down) to give it a real dre'ish feel. Sometimes ill throw a 7th or in there to give a dissonate feel but i find with grimey stuff.. basic triads work best...

For R&B i usually use alot of 2nd or 3rd inversion Maj 7ths(with alot of agumentatios) with the 9th(sometimes 11th) subsituted for the root. As far as the progession it really depends on the mood of the chourd... for the bridge all usually modulated to the (IV) chourd of the song Im in and pull back down to (I ) for the resoultion...

class..

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
^^^^^^^^LOL Lets see somebody top that! I'm reading chinese right now(I'm clueless). I wish I would have taken Piano lessons when I was young.

Trying it now just ain't working for me. Or either I need a teacher that can instruct on a grade school level. I guess u really can't teach an old dog new tricks!

I get 'er done but being able to flawlessly strum would be the shit!

classic

I am proud to be southern
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 90
^^^^^^^^LOL Lets see somebody top that! I'm reading chinese right now(I'm clueless). I wish I would have taken Piano lessons when I was young.

Trying it now just ain't working for me. Or either I need a teacher that can instruct on a grade school level. I guess u really can't teach an old dog new tricks!

I get 'er done but being able to flawlessly strum would be the shit!

The thing is, knowing theroy is cool and all but it dont mean shit as far as talent is concerned... I dident learn theory for hip hop, its just left over from my piano days.. As far as hip hop is concerned i dont think you need to know too much theory ,a basic under standing of chourds will do the trick...

Its more about your ear and knack for melodies then the techinal shit... Most of the time i go by my ear, and i use the tehcinal jargon to explain what i did after the fact..

class...

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
The thing is, knowing theroy is cool and all but it dont mean shit as far as talent is concerned... I dident learn theory for hip hop, its just left over from my piano days.. As far as hip hop is concerned i dont think you need to know too much theory ,a basic under standing of chourds will do the trick...

Its more about your ear and knack for melodies then the techinal shit... Most of the time i go by my ear, and i use the tehcinal jargon to explain what i did after the fact..

class...

Yea...but it still would be cool to sit ya chick on top of piano and just put it down ya know...beat out some good ole soul music on the keyz...yea..wishfull thinking!

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
I know which progressions i use the most, but don't know how to name them properly on here, and read sam's properly

samuelock

I want Funnel Cake.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 110

yep. i learned the theory because i wanted to learn how to make those fat chords whenever i wanted. i also play A LOT of live piano. helps to know this kinda stuff.

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Music Theory Made Easy by David Harp

I got a brand new copy at Borders for $6. I spent about 45 minutes reading it, it unlocks the mystery.

Since learning music theory I've found it helpful. I am more efficient when making a beat, I know what will work and what doesn't and why. I'm not just hitting keys figuring out what progressions sound good. Also depending on my progression, I know exactly what note my bass should be at. Saves time.

Daikomo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Does anyone have any Jpg. images of CHords.. ??i mean big.. the only ones i've seen
have been so small.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Does anyone have any Jpg. images of CHords.. ??i mean big.. the only ones i've seen
have been so small.

Yea i actually made a picture diagram of a basic minor scale, gotta find it on my external hd tho.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
no need for jpeg's you can just write this down.

all scales we're talking about here are diatonic- that means there are five whole steps and two half steps. a whole step= two half steps. just in case you're not clear on what i mean, take a look at your piano/keyboard. C and D are a whole step apart- notice the black key (accidental aka sharp and/or flat, in this case C sharp or D flat) in between them. C to C sharp/Dflat is a half step, C to D is a whole step. Notice that white keys with no black key between them- B to C and E to F- are just a half step apart.

To find any major scale, just pick any key on the keyboard. Let's say you want to find C major. Put your finger on C, and then follow this scale progression, which applies for ALL major scales, regardless of what key: Whole, Whole, Half, Whole, Whole, Whole, Half. If you notice, this progression from C leads you to all the white keys, and C major is the only major scale based only on white keys. As long as you follow those steps on any key, you can put together major chords- because, in general, chords in a given key are only going to use notes from that scale- so a C major triad is just C, E, G (first, third, perfect fifth). Majors are generally happy sounding.

Like nova was mentioning, minor triads are simple but effective too. Minor scales follow a different progression: natural minor is W, H, W, W, H, W, W. As an example A relative minor is all the white keys, which you can find by following that progression. Again, once you know the scale tones, putting together chords is easy. When you hear someone talk about a 7th, or 9th, or 11th, they're talking about using the 7th, 9th, or 11th scale tone in a given scale to thicken up a chord.

Anyway the reason I posted this stuff up instead of particular chords is for people who are just getting started with theory and chords, I think this is helpful. When you're just starting out its great to know some powerful chords but without understanding scales, you'll have no idea how to create your own chords and progressions beyond what others tell you. With scales, since you know what notes are in the key you're playing in, you can really sit down for a bit and experiment with different key combinations until you find what you want.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25

class...

i dunno class, the more theory i know, the more it seems to help me
but of course as you say, the theory is simply the understanding of what it is you are doing